Shelby,N.C.
1609296409860.png

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
that was an upgrade. At least you had a keyboard. I was shown to take 2 glasses of water. Slowly dump one down the carb and rev the snot out of the motor to blow out any carbon. Then take the second and set it on the intake and mess with both a vacuum gauge for highest vacuum and watch the ripples in the glass for the smoothest idle whilst messing with the idle mixture screws. I wish I was kidding.... did this on everything from Big Block chevs to tractors

Reactions: 7 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Many of our G bodies are between the two, using a analog dwell meter, OBD 1 scanner, and hand tools to tune them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Paper clip to pull codes, timing light to determine noise frequency, home made rubber tube mechanic stethoscope to pinpoint it... got you most of where you needed to be

• Love

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I love seeing these old tools - great stuff. I have an old school oscilloscope that I keep thinking that I'm going to try to master, but never seem to have the time.

From looking through these posts I see a paradox. I view tuning and fixing poor performance as two distictively different things. A car that runs bad, or has a noise, or a performance issue doesn't need tuning but rather needs to be repaired (fixed). It's very common that the average person believes that the computer tells the tech what is wrong with the car - it makes me chuckle or get PO'd, depending on my location when I hear this. Basic tuning, operation and repairs are still needed to be completed and have little to nothing to do with a computer.

I tune with a computer, once in a while diagnose with it, but my computer systems don't give out trouble codes to diagnose.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Paper clip to pull codes, timing light to determine noise frequency, home made rubber tube mechanic stethoscope to pinpoint it... got you most of where you needed to be

Putting an ear to a screwdriver works well too.

I am glad I learned on a carbed car. Jetting. Plug gapping and reading. Timing curves.

EFI has just made me lazy.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
DBW cars can be pretty crazy. To calibrate the DBW throttle in my P71, with KOEO, you slowly depress the gas pedal then quickly release it, turn the key back to off, then repeat two more times. Anytime the battery is disconnected there is this complex relearn procedure you need to do. First let the car full warm up in idle, then put the parking brake on and let it warm idle for a minute, turn the A/C on and let it idle another minute, then release the parking brake and depress the brake pedal and put it in drive and hold it at idle for another minute, then drive 10 miles. DBW sure is better than drive by cable. 🙄

• Haha

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
DBW cars can be pretty crazy. To calibrate the DBW throttle in my P71, with KOEO, you slowly depress the gas pedal then quickly release it, turn the key back to off, then repeat two more times. Anytime the battery is disconnected there is this complex relearn procedure you need to do. First let the car full warm up in idle, then put the parking brake on and let it warm idle for a minute, turn the A/C on and let it idle another minute, then release the parking brake and depress the brake pedal and put it in drive and hold it at idle for another minute, then drive 10 miles. DBW sure is better than drive by cable. 🙄
And people wonder why I'm more comfortable pulling the choke knob and using the foot starter button...…….
Decal Set for Top of Engine Rocker Arm Cover Hurricane 4 Fits 50-72 Willys Jeeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor