Howdy, 1987 Elky owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2018
Hi Guys,
I'm Trevor. I own a 1987 El Camino Conquista. The story on my car goes like this, it got to the dealership in 1987 and immedietly became the demonstrator vehicle, or in otherwords the general managers personal car. meanwhile in a couple towns over my Grandfather had heard it was the last year for El Camino's so he had to have one of the last made, so when this car was made available he snatched it up. the car has power windows, power locks, the nice bolstered bench seat. Gold and brown exterior paint. 305, THM200 trans.
Fast forward to 2002 , my grandfather decides its time to part with the car and gives it to my dad. My dad drives it a little , but was never a fan of the car.... all the while the entire time my grandfather had it I lusted after that car, from about the age of 5 till that point. I would tell him someday that car will be mine! he would just kind of laugh and ignore it.
my little sister got her license about 2003... and my Dad started letting her drive the car. to say i was bitter was a understatement. well in the parking lot at the highschool aparently the brake booster didnt have enough vacuume and CRUNCH... the front end crumpled in. I didn't find out about it till about 2 weeks later and I was furious. after slowing my role and realizing that if he didn't find a place for it the city was going to tell him to get rid of it a friend of mine offered to store it at his place for free until they figured out what to do. so away the car went.
a few months later I decided it was time to leave Palmdale california and started making plans to move up to Carson city, Nevada where grandma and grandpa were, and it was then that my dad made a deal saying "if you can get her back to running condition , she is yours! I was on it like white on rice and within the month the elky was back together.... now with a black fender, black primer header panel and black hood... not pretty , but she was mine!
I moved up to carson city. and the weekend my wife and I got together.... the elky was wrecked again. this time, new header panel , two used fenders , a bumper, and hood got her back together. and i drove her again for about a year.
3 kids and 12 years later. I am finally at the point where i can do the things ive always wanted to do to her.... o yeah...its gonna get dirty. I already have the cowl induction hood (two inch) the SS front splitter, the 200 4R trans (and rebuild kit), a 4 bolt main 350 (that will have to wait a few more years) paint shortly... etc.

so thats my story!

thanks for letting me join!
Trevor
Gardnerville, NV

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Slowpoke

G-Body Guru
Dec 23, 2016
Welcome aboard Trevor! thanks for sharing the story. Would love to see some pics of the Elky.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard Trevor!
Thank you for sharing the story about how you acquired your Elky.
When you get a chance, post some pics of your pride and joy.
Nice to have you on board.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome aboard! As mentioned post up some pics when you get a chance.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Sounds similar to my story on the wagon. Been in the family the whole time, kept in a garage most of its life. Circumstances changed, and it needed to be moved. I named it & claimed it. Glad I did! Keep us updated!

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Welcome from a 1 year Elco owner in Pgh. I love hearing the good parts of your story. Mainly that you FINALLY got and still have the car.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to some pictures.

• Agree

Crazy4elkys

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2017
Upper SC
We need pics, welcome aboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor