Hp Tuners - What all can it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Pretty much what the title says.....what all can I do with it.

Pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

What can I do with the pro features? Should I get them right away? Can I add them later on if I want?

What all is the software capable of? Can it do things like a code reader? Can you see things realtime when the engine is running?

Things I know I can use it for, my LS swap and turning off the annoying 4 cyl mode on my 15 Silverado.

If there is somewhere online that answers all these questions, point me to it.

I guess just give me reasons I can use it and not feel guilty buying it for just two things.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You can alter most every aspect of the engine and transmission tune. At least with EFILive I can say you get bidirectional controls, a number of tests, I imagine HPT probably does too? It's very capable software and if you've never done any tuning like that before you're in for a fire hose. Luckily you really only need it for some basic stuff, so you can learn the harder stuff in an as-desired basis.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Well, google to their webpage can give you answers to your questions.. you asked. ;)

I've been using it since 2008, Pro version allows you to incorporate inputs like a wideband and boost controller to where you can see them while datalogging.

The VCM Suite tuning side of the software is where you make your changes and tune the vehicle.

The VCM Scanner is where you datalog, get realtime data, see codes, etc.

Been doing it since 2008, I know my way around it.

20220618_085312.jpg

This book here opened it up next level for what I work with.

TUNING BOOK.jpg

The software is capable of more than anyone would ever need.

Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Well, google to their webpage can give you answers to your questions.. you asked. ;)

I've been using it since 2008, Pro version allows you to incorporate inputs like a wideband and boost controller to where you can see them while datalogging.

The VCM Suite tuning side of the software is where you make your changes and tune the vehicle.

The VCM Scanner is where you datalog, get realtime data, see codes, etc.

Been doing it since 2008, I know my way around it.

View attachment 201296

This book here opened it up next level for what I work with.

View attachment 201295

The software is capable of more than anyone would ever need.
Their webpage is a little overwhelming. I was looking earlier.

Knowing that I can learn to use it to diagnose future problems with our daily drivers make a more useful tool to me.

Figure it will save me sending my swap ecu out. Let me make changes to my truck down the road. And for the cost of the license I can use it on our other vehicles.

Thanks for mentioning the book. I'll look into it to use as a learning tool

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO

Knowing that I can learn to use it to diagnose future problems with our daily drivers make a more useful tool to me.

Figure it will save me sending my swap ecu out. Let me make changes to my truck down the road. And for the cost of the license I can use it on our other vehicles.

You can download the software, find a tune, and poke around before you buy it to get a feel for how it's set up.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
EPA killed the tune cabinet which was one of the best sources to look how other people tune.

Honestly you can do everything with HPTuners but it can be really confusing if you aren't willing to read & learn. It's awesome and terrible at the same time. Things that are one click away with something like a Holley aftermarket ECU can take a dozen tables to change in HPT. However if you just wany to do simple gear ratio changes, or have a vehicle that's already set up with a factory ECM it's tough if not impossible to beat.

A factory ECM is an emissions control device primarily and allows the engine to run secondarily. HP made is a side-effect. You can make things better with HPT but it's often in a roundabout way.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
EPA killed the tune cabinet which was one of the best sources to look how other people tune.

Honestly you can do everything with HPTuners but it can be really confusing if you aren't willing to read & learn. It's awesome and terrible at the same time. Things that are one click away with something like a Holley aftermarket ECU can take a dozen tables to change in HPT. However if you just wany to do simple gear ratio changes, or have a vehicle that's already set up with a factory ECM it's tough if not impossible to beat.

A factory ECM is an emissions control device primarily and allows the engine to run secondarily. HP made is a side-effect. You can make things better with HPT but it's often in a roundabout way.

Those are very good points. I have pined for a Holley many times because of all the 2nd and 3rd order effects tune alterations can have. There is a very specific order of operations, but if you haven't made huge changes it won't kick your butt that bad.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

How I learned it was literally reading what every table does, making small adjustments and seeing what the car did. That program has a lot of tables and most of them you will never use.

That book is more for the advanced side of it, going next level with what the computer can do with a car. Programming a shift light, programming actually paddle shifting an automatic transmission, things like that. Gen III PCM, they might have a book for newer stuff.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you are only ever tuning one car: get the Holley Terminator.

Don't deal with HP Tuners if you can avoid the complexity.

• Agree

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea that brings up a point.. what's the intended use.

I got it in 2008 because that was all that was out there and over the years I've done 7 of my own vehicles with a few dozen on the side.

Nowadays if you're building a car up, the systems out there are pretty well-priced for what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor