Hp Tuners - What all can it do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Yea that brings up a point.. what's the intended use.

I got it in 2008 because that was all that was out there and over the years I've done 7 of my own vehicles with a few dozen on the side.

Nowadays if you're building a car up, the systems out there are pretty well-priced for what you get.

I'm doing an LS swap and using the stock computer. Was going to send it out to get programed, but got curious with buying the software and doing it myself. That is where the question that started this thread came from.....what else can I do with it? Basically trying to justify in my head spending the money.

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
I'm doing an LS swap and using the stock computer. Was going to send it out to get programed, but got curious with buying the software and doing it myself. That is where the question that started this thread came from.....what else can I do with it? Basically trying to justify in my head spending the money.
I like that i can adjust gear ratios, tire height, full trans control, shift timing, idle speed, fan control, edit out VATS, edit out rear O2 sensors, edit out evap...etc.
All this is needed even on a stock swap.
After you add mods to the engine, you can learn how to tune to suit the mods.
Yeah, it's a steep learning curve for the cammed, high HP application but the geeky nerd side of you will love it, if thats your thing.
One of the silliest things I like is how I can make my electric fans run for 10 or 15 seconds after I shut the engine off.
I've also charged a couple of guys $50.00 plus their two credits to remove vats, etc to get their swaps running. Made some of my investment back.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you are only ever tuning one car: get the Holley Terminator.

Don't deal with HP Tuners if you can avoid the complexity.

Yea that brings up a point.. what's the intended use.

I got it in 2008 because that was all that was out there and over the years I've done 7 of my own vehicles with a few dozen on the side.

Nowadays if you're building a car up, the systems out there are pretty well-priced for what you get.
I believe he is using either a 6L90 or 8L__. I believe that rules out alot of aftermarket stuff. I was if the understanding that there isn't an aftermarket ECM for those transmissions.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
I believe he is using either a 6L90 or 8L__. I believe that rules out alot of aftermarket stuff. I was if the understanding that there isn't an aftermarket ECM for those transmissions.
Yes, 6l90e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor