hub or lug centric

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
i have several sets of wheels and like to switch around every once in a while. the po had put american racing mags on my malibu and had the rear axles drilled for 5 on 5 to match the mags. the rears also had centric rings on them which was ok. i have been getting my QP 9 inch housing ready for a swap this summer. it has speedway 31 spline axles. i have vision aftermarket rallys, factory corvette ralleys,american racing mags and not sure what the other set make is. they all have a different center bores. as it stands now it looks like i'll have to buy custom made centric rings or go lug centric. i had the rotors machined by my friend to fit the new axles. it's a right stuff kit so thats what i'll use. as it stands now the axle center hub is small enough to fit my rims except the factory corvette rallys. i can't believe i'm the only person that has run into this problem so what do most of you do. the rings on the car were off the shelf ones so that was not a problem but the new axle hub is not so it's custom rings or lug centric. btw i like hub centric if i have a choice.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
This was just gone over about 2 weeks ago. Your situation is to many different wheels. My new wheels weren’t hub centric. I don’t trust lug centric so I got the hub centric rings from Summit for $10.00 for 4. They have about a thousand different sizes, so micromiter measure your hub and wheel center hole and call them. Their website is all scattered, it’ll take HOURS to find your size.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
This was just gone over about 2 weeks ago. Your situation is to many different wheels. My new wheels weren’t hub centric. I don’t trust lug centric so I got the hub centric rings from Summit for $10.00 for 4. They have about a thousand different sizes, so micromiter measure your hub and wheel center hole and call them. Their website is all scattered, it’ll take HOURS to find your size.
Thanks for the tip. I never knew I could buy a bushing to center on my hub. That's so much easier than making them! Especially at $10

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Mine are a nice snug fit. It even helps when putting the wheel/tire on the car, your not lifting and jiggling to get the nuts on the studs.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
thanks for the reply. my fronts were super cheap last year. have not found my size for the rear yet after what you said.... Hours. i'll give them a call
Mine are a nice snug fit. It even helps when putting the wheel/tire on the car, your not lifting and jiggling to get the nuts on the studs.
thats for sure.
. i miked them and one outfit said they could custom make them. was cheaper to buy anther wheel because they would only make 4.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
i have several sets of wheels and like to switch around every once in a while. the po had put american racing mags on my malibu and had the rear axles drilled for 5 on 5 to match the mags. the rears also had centric rings on them which was ok. i have been getting my QP 9 inch housing ready for a swap this summer. it has speedway 31 spline axles. i have vision aftermarket rallys, factory corvette ralleys,american racing mags and not sure what the other set make is. they all have a different center bores. as it stands now it looks like i'll have to buy custom made centric rings or go lug centric. i had the rotors machined by my friend to fit the new axles. it's a right stuff kit so thats what i'll use. as it stands now the axle center hub is small enough to fit my rims except the factory corvette rallys. i can't believe i'm the only person that has run into this problem so what do most of you do. the rings on the car were off the shelf ones so that was not a problem but the new axle hub is not so it's custom rings or lug centric. btw i like hub centric if i have a choice.
vision wheel bore size 3.216 or 81.686mm. my axle center bore od 3.055 or 77.60mm. the search continues

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
My new QP 9 inch rear has the stock Gbody size hub . So I don’t have to get a different size

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
i can only guess the po redrilled the stock 7.5 rear axles to fit the mags he had. i was totally unaware of this modification when i went to install my vette rallys. this was on the rear only. i wanted my rallys on so i bought a pair of vision rallys with the 5 on 5 bolt pattern for the rear only. my qp 9 inch g-body housing had 35 spline axles which i sold and purchased 31 spline from speedway. so far this has turned into a nightmare that i have to sort out. the rightstuff disc brake conversion rotors do not have the 5 0n 5 bolt pattern on the rotors. just gm 4.75 and ford 4.5. plus the center hub on the axles do not match the vision rallys. that requires a hub centric ring and redrill the rotors to 5 on 5 or just get two more vision rallys with the 4.75 and the hub centric ring because the new rallys have a larger center bore than the axles. what a mess. one of these days i'll graduate from the school of hard knocks i hope.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor