Hubs (expensive vs cheap) place of origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
We used to carry fenco hubs. They were the cheaper option, at less than half an skf or delco. Quality was terrible, like 30% or more were coming back defective, so we dropped the entire line.

But, as already stated, it is just a wheel bearing. You should know its bad long before anything catastrophic happens

Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I'm currently testing hubs myself. On my daily, I bought 2 rear moog hubs from rock auto. One box said made in China, the other said made in USA. Same part numbers. Installed USA on drivers side, China on passengers side. I know this is not the most scientific test that can be done for the hubs but i like real world testing. 20k on them at the moment. No issues yet...

Reactions: 2 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I'd run them.

You'll know if they are failing long before your wheel passes you on the highway

I think I may.

The comments about hearing noises before any real catastrophic failures makes sense to me.
Also, like hearing someone mention they have a set of Detroit Axle hubs and felt good about them.
Also, feel like what is the point if Moogs are also made overseas.

I'm just sick about everything being made overseas.
Quality aside, I was thinking about a factory full of Americans in Detroit making my hubs.
But choices are only limited by options and it doesn't look like I have many from an actual stateside POV.

I also HATE making returns.

Again thanks for the input people.

Since I'm on the subject of Axles..

Can I just cut the ABS cord or does it get removed and closed off some other way?

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I think I may.

The comments about hearing noises before any real catastrophic failures makes sense to me.
Also, like hearing someone mention they have a set of Detroit Axle hubs and felt good about them.
Also, feel like what is the point if Moogs are also made overseas.

Quality aside, I was thinking about a factory full of Americans in Detroit making my hubs.
But choices are only limited by options and it doesn't look like I have many from an actual stateside POV.

I also HATE making returns.

Again thanks for the input people.

Since I'm on the subject of Axles..

Can I just cut the ABS cord or does it get removed and closed off some other way?
You can cut the cord and it'll be fine, or be neurotic like a couple of us and install stupid pricey grease fittings from riff raff diesel.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You can cut the cord and it'll be fine, or be neurotic like a couple of us and install stupid pricey grease fittings from riff raff diesel.
Or, just whittle some out and throw a Zerk fitting in? Doesn't take long.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

I'm more disturbed by the "US" company names that have been whored out for profits while compromising quality. (see Curtis Mathes, Fram, etc)

Many of the finest things in the world have been manufactured overseas for a very long time.

I recall watching an episode of Wings probably 20 years ago where the RAF was restoring a German aircraft from WWII. They sent the engine crankshaft to Rolls Royce to have it checked out and were told that it was fine, and to be careful with it because it could not likely be built to that standard today.

Some societies have been more finicky than others in the history of man.

All that said, it is distressing that it appears to be very hard for domestic business to compete in today's market

Reactions: 3 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Hell if I know tbh. If the car is a DD I'd say a couple times a year would be sufficient. Think about, from the factory they're not setup to be greased and some hubs have well north of 100k miles on em.

I'll probably just cut it and walk away from it for now. Sounds like something that could occupy a raining day down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor