Hurst Lightning Rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallengineguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2011
My Regal had a factory floor shifter, but I now have Lightning Rods. I never hooked up the reverse lights because I don't know how they operate with the rods. Is there a switch in the console, or some kind of linkage from the transmission to the column that moves the indicator on the column?

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
There’s a rod from the trans to the column just like every other floor shifter it operates the reverse switch

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Did you keep your backdrive linkage for your transmission? As mentioned, it works the same way as your original shifter setup. The only thing the LR conversion does is swap over your pan cable bracket, cable, and the shifter and mounting hardware for it. If you tossed it, go back and find it. Otherwise you'd have to cobble something else together. There's no switch in the console.

smallengineguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 28, 2011
I appreciate the replies. I still have it thank God.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Just so you know the rod from a 200 or turbo 350 may be different then the 200-4r rod I had an issue with this when I put the 4 speed in my car I thought they looked the same but one worked the other hit my exhaust and floor

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just so you know the rod from a 200 or turbo 350 may be different then the 200-4r rod I had an issue with this when I put the 4 speed in my car I thought they looked the same but one worked the other hit my exhaust and floor
Good point. I was assuming it was a 200-4R that was in it originally and was using 4 speed rods from an H/O. Yeah, I think the rod on the 4R is a little longer I believe. But if the transmission is the original transmission, it still should bolt right back in.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Good point. I was assuming it was a 200-4R that was in it originally and was using 4 speed rods from an H/O. Yeah, I think the rod on the 4R is a little longer I believe. But if the transmission is the original transmission, it still should bolt right back in.
Ya his car looks to be the same vintage as mine 78-80 I think?

Nascar-TA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2016
Macomb Michigan

I have a question for you. I am swapping the Lightning Rods into a Firebird with a 200 4R. I was planning on using my TH350 trans to column linkage, because they never had a 200 4R in a Firebird. Am I going to have issues with my neutral safety switch and reverse switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor