OLDS Hurst/Olds Lightning Rod Shifters - Gimmick or Functional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Wow factor yes, gimmick yes, functional yes when adjusted correctly and even better with a built trans and motor. When my kids were small I had told them the middle shifter was a back seat ejector if they didn't behave. My son asked what the other shifter did the one on right I said thats a special one just for your mother when she doesn't behave it ejects the front seat. So whats my son do runs in the house tells my wife what I just told him she comes running out the house my son behind her laughing. Lucky I had the car running put in gear and took off. True story I still tease my wife about it

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I have them in most of my cars, when properly installed they work excellent.
Issues arise from improper install or worn out shifter cable, many can't seem to wrap their head around adjusting the shifter cable properly... otherwise if the shifter cable pawl is correctly adjusted they work flawlessly and are a lot of fun riding out the gears in a nicely built TH2004R with a shift kit.
Those that state otherwise aren't doing it right...
I had a dual gate once and hated it, has to be the most useless shifter ever made by Hurst since it's way too easy to jump gears, it's beyond me how they wound up putting them in most of the H/O's.
IMO H/O's should have all been 4-speed cars...

Reactions: 2 users

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
I'm dropping the transmission pan on my 83 HO in order to fix a leak out of the shift linkage input. I hadn't considered a shift kit. Can you recommend a good one 88hurstolds? Source?

Thanks!

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
My only issue was that you moved them forward. Not nearly as satisfying as slamming them back. Which is why I went with the Kilduff variation.

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Those that state otherwise aren't doing it right...

You can't beat the coolness factor with anything else but the original Hurst Lightning rods. Fit and finish is excellent and they are built well. Are they faster than a conventional slap stick or performance shifter?...NO. But they look and work great if installed and adjusted properly. Any other shifter in an G body H/O is a wanna be crappy copy and will reduce the value of the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor