HVLP turbine systems opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
By the time I get a big enough compressor and all tools associated with a paint job, gun etc., I was contemplating using a turbine setup which I can also use at the building I own.
Just wanted your opinions of this type of setup and if anyone is familiar using one...?
Thanks!

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i think they're a great idea on paper,that being said,i've never used one.it conditions the air.unlike a conventional air compressor/spray gun set up,moisture can become a big issue as most people can't or don't have means to have a dryer or a good effective mean$ to keep moisture/oil at bay at home.especally in the summer humidity is a big one.the blasting company I've been dealing with has one.they're called TP tools.they've got some nice reasonable priced stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
i think they're a great idea on paper,that being said,i've never used one.it conditions the air.unlike a conventional air compressor/spray gun set up,moisture can become a big issue as most people can't or don't have means to have a dryer or a good effective mean$ to keep moisture/oil at bay at home.especally in the summer humidity is a big one.the blasting company I've been dealing with has one.they're called TP tools.they've got some nice reasonable priced stuff.
Just checked them out... very nice and made in USA quality.... thank you

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've sprayed in a lot of different places and the humidly/compressor game stinks.most air tools will live/operate a decent life on so-so conditions but painting is a different story. everyone's different though.

• Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I've sprayed in a lot of different places and the humidly/compressor game stinks.most air tools will live/operate a decent life on so-so conditions but painting is a different story. everyone's different though.
Well you've certainly got me thinking.....

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
:popcorn:
I have only the slightest idea what the hell y'all talking about. Sounds cool; I could fvck it up good.
You and me both !!!! I can't F it up tho.... Money just got tight which sux royally.... as we all know
Turbine systems use very high CFM and lower pressure.... Supposed to be easier to spray AND save paint etc.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
I can give you several outlooks about turbine systems .
Any old painters that only first saw them in the 80's or so will tell you they are nothing but a heat pump & are crap. Others recently researching & buying new systems will tell you the new top of the line 6 stage systems are great. The truth is a little of both. I got mine partly for the pressure assist gravity feed spray gun setup.
I have a titan capspray 115 with the elite gravity feed gun at work , got it for acrylic waterbourne paints mainly. Heat is a factor. with waterbourne paints I still have to thin & add additives to keep from drying up in gun. Tried with interior lacquers, added retarders & does great. recently tried SPI epoxy, does great as many have said. Last week swapped in bigger tip & sprayed evercoat g-2 prime surfacer. If I dial in spray coats thin, it shoots really smooth, better than anything else did for a poly primer surfacer. Did try with SPI matte clear on entrance doors before. Add in retarders & did great. Haven't shot automotive paint with it yet, but this setup really isn't even marketed towards automotive use as Fuji or some others are. Also I have a small Ac unit in my entrance door paint room near the sprayer which helps even with fans on.

Bottom line, the bigger better units do work, but you do have to account for heat buildup & adjust mixtures accordingly, particularly with faster drying stuff & hot weather. The epoxy right now likes the extra heat. You don't have to worry about oil in line & they do dry out the air. The hose is large & bulky, I have a 25' I think with a 5' flex leader hose to gun. First part of hose gets burning hot, near gun feels cool, but is still warmer than average compressed air from larger compressors. Much less fog in the air than average spray guns, but then I've never had a $700 dollar pneumatic gun to compare to. Noise level with unit in room is about that of a pissed off vacuum cleaner, so inside it won't bother neighbors.
Commercially, bath tub refinishers probably all use em, many professional cabinet in home resprayers do. I don't know of any automotive paint shops using them ,EXCEPT for the mobile bumper, etc repair people. They like them. Currently turbine units could still use improvements to gain acceptance in full paint shops, but are gaining in part time use. I think Kevin Tetz formerly on Tv has a video on a system from a few years ago. I'm bringing my work unit home tomorrow for epoxy & G-2. Check out my bedcover I used it on in widebody thread in this section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor