Hydraulic Roller Lifter question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
We are building a oe late model 350 for a track car, Chumpcar, road race application. We want to use a ZZ3-4 hydraulic roller cam and are wondering what hydraulic roller lifter to use. Have seen all kinds of print about lifter pump up, collapse and other. RPM will be in the 5 to 6K range. Has anyone used this combination in a project with what kind of results?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I have a Comp Cams hydruallic roller camshaft with their hydruallic roller lifters. I've had this cam/lifter setup in 2 engines now, with at least 30-40,000 miles on them. I run full synthetic mobil 1 15w-40 oil and change it about every 4-5,000 miles. The engine is a street strip setup, it has about 20-30 passes at the track. I usually shift it at 62-6500 rpm, but it has seen 7000 rpm a few times with no issues.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There is an LS lifter swap for small blocks you might look at. The OEM LS lifters seem to take pretty good abuse.

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
Thanks for the come back. I am trying to stay with the OEM type lifter so do either of you know which LS engine the one lifter is out of? I did read one thing that mentioned an LS7 lifter. By the way my block is an original roller cam block. I think it is out of a 89 pickup.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I use the GM performance roller lifters in my 355 SBC. The 604 crate engine in our race cars uses the same cam and roller lifters I used and we never had any issues with the lifters. GM part # 17120735. Just remember adjusting the valve lash is different than the adjustment for a flat tappet. We ran a Neon in a Chumpcar race and it went pretty good till the wheel hubs started coming apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Bruce Compton

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2010
Wound up using the Crane lifters. Motor runs good on the run stand and the lifters are quiet. I adjusted the lifters pretty much dry as the bleed hole is so small I was not able to fill them before installation. I then primed the motor until I got oil at every rocker arm. This was not my first time at this chore. We will see how it all works at the track.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor