Hydro-dipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Has anyone used or had done the Hydro-dipping process?
I'd like to do a few interior pieces, dash surround, console shift plate, breadbox door. etc. in carbon fiber look.
If it's easy enough, I wouldn't mind doing it myself. I'm sure there's some prep involved.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Charlie,
I have seen a few You tubes a few years back. I guess it's time to refresh my memory and checkout some current You tubes on the subject.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Jack,
The guy that actually sprayed my wagon was setting up his barn behind his house to do that. I dont think it ever took off though. I sent a guy to his place that wanted some carbon fiber done on his new Camaro. From what the guy told him he needed to pick a color for the base before he did the hydro dipping. Not sure how that works but you might want to check that out first.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Talked to a local shop a couple of years ago that got out of it & said they sold about 20 grand of stuff they had.
Sounded like their main hangup with doing it was they needed a dedicated person to do just it. required a few coats of automotive clear afterwards, which is a little time consuming in itself.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you guys, I appreciate your input and feedback.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hydro dipping is very unpopular in Ontario, Hydro one is always dipping into our pockets for more money all the time....:(

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It doesn't seem like a popular process these days... or am I wrong? I think I may be a little reluctant about boxing up my parts and sending them out for someone to do.
I thought if anyone had personal experience doing their own parts, I'd be eager to listen to your tips and suggestions.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
A friend of mine started doing it on the side. From what he told me, here's what I know: the surace must be in paintable condition- basically, it's paint floating on water. It's difficult to get right. I can only see this being a bigger problem on a fine pattern like carbon fiber.
In my personal opinion, I've never seen fake carbon fiber that was convincing.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Maybe this process will work for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor