Hydroboost brake conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
I was set on going manual brakes on my GN but seen the Hydro setups which seem to work well. Anyone using hydro brakes and have input? What company to deal with for a nice unit that is show quality as they call it they are a bit ugly so i want mine dressed up if i go that route!

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I have Hydroboost in my Regal. Personally I think it is the best braking system I have ever had. The fact that it is not dependent on vacuum from engine or some pump is great. Only issue I ever had w/ my hydroboost was when I still had the factory V-belt setup I would throw the belt every time engine went over 6k rpm. I installed a serpentine system and never had an issue again. Hydroboost frees you from all concerns on engine builds or induction.

Just look around I have seen many different companies offer "pretty" assemblies. Mine is a factory HB

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
I know the hydroboost in my superduty stops that 9k lb truck down quite well i seen a place called CPP and Hydrotech so far still looking though!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Another benefit is no honkin' booster on the firewall to interfere with big block tall valve covers. Look for a Chevy one-ton or diesel pickup. Be careful reusing old hydraulic lines. Blow one of those and you have a serious mess and a fried pump. Ask my F350 how I know this.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Yes no booster is a big plus thats why i was going the manual route to clean it up and make room for my TT piping. All the lines will be new SS braided so no worries there!

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I bought my setup from Hydratech. Great guys to deal with and the owner has a 455/4spd Cutlass gbody as one of their test cars. :)

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Talking with Jim over at Hydratech right now and have pics of that car!

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
Car craft did an article using a hydro boost out of an astro van.my dad's in the process of using the astro hydroboost on his malibu.instead of cutting and welding the pushrod he just used aluminum spacers on the firewall to take up the difference between the two pushrods.in the article they cut and welded it.this setup will probably be around $100-150 instead of $300-600 for the aftermarket stuff.

6togo

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2013
Yea but it will look no where near as good which on a driver is fine but mine is far from that i need the bling and i know i have to pay for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor