I am baffled of why it won't start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezlikesundaymorn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2017
Usually when this happens its a bad driver in the ignition control module. Check the wires and the connector that plug into module. If all is well then replace module. Sometimes it is the ecm but very rarely.

I'll check the connections, and I took the module in & it tested as good.
I read a couple places it could be the pick-up coil...any thought on that?
And thank you for your replies.

Ezlikesundaymorn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 6, 2017
I'll check the connections, and I took the module in & it tested as good.
I read a couple places it could be the pick-up coil...any thought on that?
And thank you for your replies.

One last important factor is that the car will start if I pour gas or starting fluid in the throddle body. If the ecm is bad, would it still fire up with me doing that?

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
There is for sure a fuse that will make the injectors not work. I can't remember exactly which one it is though. I remember when I put my pump in I still couldn't get it to start and had to swap fuses because the injectors weren't pulsing. I had forgot about that till I just read that post a few minutes ago.

If I remember, I'll try to see which fuse it is.

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
There is for sure a fuse that will make the injectors not work. I can't remember exactly which one it is though. I remember when I put my pump in I still couldn't get it to start and had to swap fuses because the injectors weren't pulsing. I had forgot about that till I just read that post a few minutes ago.

If I remember, I'll try to see which fuse it is.
I also remember that and can't remember witch one it is but a test light will tell you quick

Reactions: 1 users

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
The fuse is the ign/ecm fuse. It supplies power to the injectors. If u have spark fuse is good. Also u can check for power on the red and white wires that go to injectors. The way it works is that the fuse supplies the power and the injectors are ground switched by a signal going from the ign control module to ecm. The ecm send out a ground signal. how else would it know when to fires them without a cam sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
the driver in the module that controls the spark signal is fine. thats why U have spark. The driver in the module that tells the ecm to send the ground signal to injectors is pooched.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
The purple and white wire sends the distributor pulse refernce to ecm.for injectors.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor