I am building an Elcamino SS using monte parts !

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
It has been fun ! i am just 16 years old and I heard from people it can't be done some say it can . The rumors are true! i started out with a straight Elcamino . we started to tear it down and get into alot of Bondo in the front fenders so we thought why mess with this . I always liked the Choo Choo customs cars but being 16 I cant afford the gas let alone more than another $1000 to buy the nose :x .. as i was taking it apart i was trying to find the Monte parts and noticed from the part #s that the core support was the same on all G body's .. I knew it would be a start so I started buying parts or trading for them . I bought Doors and a doghouse . I found out the hood hinges and bumper shocks were different and bought those too. i started to bolt them up ... of course the doors didn't match up i didnt think they would but they were close. we hammered back the seam and made the gap on the door line up :D ...we went to harbour freight and bought a stud welder because the lines on the body didnt come close to mating up. first we hammered out the ridge in the rear quarter on the Camino so it was flat... now we had to take the stud welder and pop out a new ridge on the QP so it followed the flow of the Monte door. Now the door will close and the striker will latch up to the door now...BUT the monte door was recessed in 1/2 of an inch so we took the body hammer and tapped the back of the door out so it matched up with the body....next we bought some " All Metal filler " it is made from ground up aluminum or something weird we touched up the quarter Panel it looked great . just two things were messing with me now the bottom line in the door wasn't working now...we let this problem rest for a min... we just hoped and prayed that we could switch the window with no hassles . turns out with a bunch of rivet drilling and a borrowed pop rivet gun we could swap the window and regulators out just fine!!!last but not least we have the body seam in the door !!!! :( . there were 2 ways to go we could smooth out the bottom of the door to match the body or make a ridged panel we went for making panels. this decision was made for us as we found some filler with spray foam in the bottom of the car... :roll: ... we bought some thick sheet metal and my dad knows a guy that had a metal brake and a shear that he let us borrow .... So we fabbed up some parts... after combing the internet we found that someone made some lower door skin replacement panels and we could have used those to weld in instead of making them... oh well!!!
We did allot of trading so I am going to cap this build off with a mikes montes [/color]Goodmark cowl hood that we will be buying for $375... but we have to drive a long way yo pick it up . but you cant beat the price. I cant wait to get it done.... and painted ... oh by the way-[I left out a month of sanding on this greasy pig to get through 8 layers of paint !!!!THE PICS SHOW MAKING THE ORIGINAL FENDERS WORK WITH THE MONTE NOSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CHANGED PLANS AND WENT FULL OUT WITH THE CAR!!CHANGING THE ENTIRE CAR ....THIS TAKES A WELDER A METAL BRAKE ALLOT OF BODY MODS AND A TON OF GRINDING!!!!!!!!!!the first pics show how tojust add the monte nose and have it blend in in the Camino...

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,120
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,081
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 3,091

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
more pics version 2

Attachments

• el screamo 060.jpg
    el screamo 060.jpg
    961.4 KB · Views: 3,058
  • el screamo 058.jpg
    el screamo 058.jpg
    791.3 KB · Views: 3,040
  • el screamo 066.jpg
    el screamo 066.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 3,056

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
more
I should have taken more pictures of the steps we did but I wasn't planning a documentary at first but so many people were bugging me on how i did this... and I am leaving the part out where i hit the basket ball goal post an hour after putting on the used fender from Craigslist!!! still trying to get one!!!

Attachments

• el screamo 064.jpg
    el screamo 064.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 3,039
  • el screamo 063.jpg
    el screamo 063.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 3,039

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Awesome! I have the same thing goin on with my 86 el.i also was looking for a alternative to that 1000.00 price of the choo choo nose.so youdid not use the monte doors? Asking because i see the body lines on the doors in your pic? I have all the monte components,doors,fenders.nose,hood,but want the el camino body lines any suggestions on how to get these lines out if i use the fenders and doors? Ill pm you with my phone number to discuss further.thanks looking great!!!

1980elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
cool build. Remindes me how luckey I am to have found a original SS 86 camino rotted into the ground 5 miles from my house. After bugging the guy for a year I got the front end for like $150. Bolted on. Still not completly done but almost there. Good luck with your build. hopefully your front end doesnt have 6 coats of cracked paint like mine did. :cry: took me 6 months to strip.
003-4.jpg

oh yeah check out my choo choo rear end. Matches. like $100 might want to look into them. It litterly took me 10 minuites to put on.
006-2.jpg

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
Man, you guys have been working hard on your El Camino! I installed a Choo Choo nose on my El Camino (avatar). There's a guy on Malibu Racing (abigda) and the same guy is on G-body Central (1983SS454) who did the Monte nose on his El Camino, and it looks awesome (it also has a Muncy 4-speed too). You should check out his ride!

Doug

Welcome to the site!

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
L.A.X-RATED said:
Awesome! I have the same thing goin on with my 86 el.i also was looking for a alternative to that 1000.00 price of the choo choo nose.so youdid not use the monte doors? Asking because i see the body lines on the doors in your pic? I have all the monte components,doors,fenders.nose,hood,but want the el camino body lines any suggestions on how to get these lines out if i use the fenders and doors? Ill pm you with my phone number to discuss further.thanks looking great!!!

We Did use the original doors at first------- then we went with the whole 9 yards we changed the entire doghouse and doors!!!!!

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: the guy at mikes montes has more g body parts than i have ever seen in one place we saw a CHOO CHOO nose with evrything you need for $800.00 It is the original rubber urethane nose!!! he is a good guy with good prices.....the # there is 1-800-811-5851 . the goodmark cowl hood was $375 fit perfect.it was cheaper because I went and picked it up!!!! 8)

Attachments

• CIMG0054.jpg
    CIMG0054.jpg
    793.5 KB · Views: 2,902

JACKSUNBYRD

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2011
[/attachment]here is the pic of the quarter where it meets the door . so we cut it out and welded in the panel we made on the sheet metal brake.[/attachment][attachment=2]CIMG0057.jpg

Attachments

• elscreamo 1 (3).jpg
    elscreamo 1 (3).jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 2,861
  • elscreamo 1 (1).jpg
    elscreamo 1 (1).jpg
    600.4 KB · Views: 2,866
  • CIMG0057.jpg
    CIMG0057.jpg
    683.4 KB · Views: 2,941
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor