I Back with a Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
A while back I posted about my LH Rear Axle Seal leaking after about 3 seal replacements. Well; Its Back! I cannot find anything wrong! I am yet to remove the axle but I find no side to side play on it. Ordered axle bearings that are seal and bearing unit as one. When I pull the axle tomorrow maybe I'll find an axle that is worn out. Maybe I should just break the bank and buy new axles!

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
is it possible that your axle bore is slightly out of round and the fluid is leaking between the bearing/seal and the axle housing?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
A while back I posted about my LH Rear Axle Seal leaking after about 3 seal replacements. Well; Its Back! I cannot find anything wrong! I am yet to remove the axle but I find no side to side play on it. Ordered axle bearings that are seal and bearing unit as one. When I pull the axle tomorrow maybe I'll find an axle that is worn out. Maybe I should just break the bank and buy new axles!
IIRC you’re running a 7.5”. If yes and you’re planning to buy new axles, then for a small amount more, imo, buy a set of Moser’s. About an additional $250-300, but we’ll worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Going to buy the Moser axles. Called C...... and they kept me online Chat waiting. I logged on 3 times with no luck with them. Moser answered quickly. Bought the Bearing/Seal as a unit. It is a GM Product. Waiting for a bearing puller to come in to remove the old bearing. We will see on tis continued saga

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You won’t be disappointed.

I made a bearing remover out of a 1” piece of flat stock. Drilled a 1/2” hole through it and welded. 3/8 nut in the back side of the hole. Cut and ground off the edges to fit the backside of the bearing. Then a small piece of angle iron to go over the outer edge of the axle. A 3 or 4” bolt and the bearing removed with absolutely no fuss in less than a minute. It works on all GM 10 bolts and Ford 7.5”

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
That is a good idea, I thought about fashioning something similar. I don't have a welder (yet) to do simple tool fabrication. I've always bought a tool required for the job, Throughout the years I've acquired a big selection of specialty tools. I have a bunch of Kent Moore Tools (GM Tool Supplier) I also have tools that have become obsolete: Brake Drum Tools, Distributer Points Sun Pro Dwell Meter. I also have some used only once!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Forgot to mention, once you get the tool in behind the bearing a magnet is an invaluable tool to hold it place while threading in the bolt.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Did you use a tin sleeve to protect the seal when you slide the axle through the seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor