I bought another Cutlass Today!!!!! (I NEED YOUR HELP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
So today me and my dad were on our way to pick up his check from work
As were driving down the road we see a cutlass sitting on a trailer next to the road with a big cardboard FOR SALE sign
So me and my dad being cutlass freaks we pulled into the drive-way to take a look
well the car looks to be in decent shape normal northern wear

The bad:
Surface rust on frame
surface rust on roof
rear bumper had a little rust
crack in the dash next to radio
doesn't start
and hasn't been driven/registered since 1999

The good:
only $500
Power everything!
dual exhaust
beautiful interior
Rally Pac
and more than 6 cylinders!

something i need your help with
the owner says it has a 327 in it
but im a little skeptical about it
so im wondering if anyone can help me iding the engine
i couldnt find a casting number on the block but i took plenty of pictures
im not sure yet on which way i want to go with this one since i recently wrecked my cutlass i could use the front clip and fenders but still not sure which direction i want to go
so let me know what your thoughts are and if you think its worth it
IMG00397.jpg
IMG00396.jpg
IMG00395.jpg
IMG00394.jpg
IMG00393.jpg
IMG00392.jpg
IMG00391.jpg
IMG00390.jpg
IMG00389.jpg
IMG00388.jpg
IMG00387.jpg
IMG00386.jpg
IMG00385.jpg
IMG00384.jpg
IMG00383.jpg
IMG00398.jpg

Conan-64

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2010
Southeastern PA.
Re: I bought another Cutlass Today!!!!! (lots of pics)

That is one HELL OF A BUY!! GOOD CATCH :D

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO

Looks like you got a great deal -- look at the numbers on the back of the block on the driverside by the head. 327 or 350 isn't a bad deal either way!

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

Im not 100% sure about this, but judging from the valve covers, that looks like it could be a 327 and if it is and its in running condition, its worth a lot more than that car ever will be...lol. Great find and let us know what you find about the block numbers.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Good buy!

Harvest all the parts you need to fix/upgrade your other Cutlass, sell what you don't use, and junk the rest...

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct

Ok behind your alt just in front of passenger head is a flat machined area on the block thiers a stamping there give me all the letters and numbers and I might be able to get you some info. Or you can look it up its a chevelle site dont remember the web page (on my other comp.) just search engine ID ...
So anyway that looks to be a pretty good deal for $500 interior looks really cozy 8) good luck
ps the fuel line is usually in the way just give it a little persuasion...

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny

Nice score! Once you get it running if everything works ok, just drive it until you get the other cutlass up to par. Seems like too good of a car to just strip, imo (may be a good daily driver for you).

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH

Thanks guys i can't get the numbers off the block at the moment the car is on a trailer at the guys house
the guy is going to deliver it tomorrow or sunday
im so excited to get started on this build the engine will probably need a rebuild because its been sitting for so long
ill get the casting numbers to you guys as soon as possible so you can help me out with some info on it
I was not expecting the price he gave me though
when i talked to him and asked how much he was looking to get for it he said he didn't have a set price so i said well are you looking to get around $1,000 to $1,500 for it and he was like um no i was thinking more like $500 or $600
i got pretty googly eyed at that point and started thinking
i talked to my dad about it and he said its more than worth it
so i called the guy back and said how about $500 plus $50 for you to deliver it to my house
he said it sounded like a plan
and we went from there

86_olds

G-Body Guru
Jul 26, 2009
so cal

sorry i must off missed it but what did insurance company say about ur other cutlass

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

Another way to ID an older sbc is that they have breather holes in the top, rear of the block by the distributor. This was before they went to PCV in the valve cover. People usually just plugged them with a freeze plug. On another note, the 62-67 blocks had forged cranks and smaller main journals. Those are the desirable years to build a top end screamer.

In other words, find out what you have before making a decision. People still look for those blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor