I can't win!!! need sum help again

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
hey guys I got all kind of problems here. I got a regal with a 231 v6 and a th350 transmission . The car will not move in drive . I put it in park switch the car of and I can still push the car, I put it in drive and I also can still push the car. I jacked the back up and spun the wheels by hand , both wheels spun and the driveshaft spins, I know its not the rear end. is it my transmission? thanks for the help..

xodruxo

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2010
Denver, Dollarado
What happens if you put it in a lower gear or even reverse? I ask cause if you can get any other gear then you might have low fluid...worse case is a blown clutch pack somewhere... if your not getting any of the gears then look and make sure u have the fluid to the right level, if all that checks out then your gonna have to start thinking about a rebuild kit, or a shop.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If it still rolls in park check to see if the shift linkage rod came loose. There is a rod that runs down to the transmission in the engine compartment that had a bolt to clamp it tight like a set screw. If this loosened up it may be sitting in neutral at all times. Either that or the parking peg is broken off in the trans and fluid is low or trans is burnt up. Hopefully it's the first thing I listed, easy fix that way.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
xodruxo said:
What happens if you put it in a lower gear or even reverse? I ask cause if you can get any other gear then you might have low fluid...worse case is a blown clutch pack somewhere... if your not getting any of the gears then look and make sure u have the fluid to the right level, if all that checks out then your gonna have to start thinking about a rebuild kit, or a shop.
still will not move no matter what gear I put it into . The car will roll when pushed in gear but will not drive in any gear.. it will even moved when I put it on parked and pushed it . Am thinking no matter what the fluid level is , I should not be able to push the car when it is in parked. I taught the parking gear was broken so I reached under the car and put the car in drive yet still I can push the car with ease.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
You should be able to freely move an automatic equipped vehicle when it's out of park and not running because nothing is physically connected to the output shaft.

If you have thoroughly inspected all the external shift linkages, it's time to pull the pan. When you do, make sure that when you move the shifter that the manual valve is moving in the valve body. It's attached with an S-clip. You should also be able to see the internal linkage that engages the parking pawl. It's the rod with the spring on the end.

TH350HPfilter.jpg

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
ok buddy in the morning I will drop the pan and take a quick look ..

MeanBuicks said:
You should be able to freely move an automatic equipped vehicle when it's out of park and not running because nothing is physically connected to the output shaft.

If you have thoroughly inspected all the external shift linkages, it's time to pull the pan. When you do, make sure that when you move the shifter that the manual valve is moving in the valve body. It's attached with an S-clip. You should also be able to see the internal linkage that engages the parking pawl. It's the rod with the spring on the end.

TH350HPfilter.jpg

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
A little history of the problem would help here. Did you do what Crotches said? Go under the car and manually put it in park (full clock wise) the parking paw should engage it doesn't your going to have to drop the pan.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
lilbowtie said:
A little history of the problem would help here. Did you do what Crotches said? Go under the car and manually put it in park (full clock wise) the parking paw should engage it doesn't your going to have to drop the pan.
yes I did , I physically went down under the car. I disconnect the shifter cable and shifting it by hand , am hearing the gears going into prnd21 and I can push the car dnt matter what gear the shifter is in with one finger , but it will not drive when I start it . The car just rev and does not go. am going to drop the pan today 4-13-2014 then I will go from there thanks for the input guys.. I know you can push an automatic when its in gear but it aint suppose to be that easy to push it on gear.. I mean one finger and the car rolling .

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
As I said a little history to the problem might help - or did it just happen. Since you can hear and feel the gear positions your shaft, rooster, and detent spring and roller are working.
That should also engage the parking paw through an actuating rod connected to the rooster which isn't happening so there is a problem here to start with. As MeanBuicks said check
the S clip and the manual valve also.

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
well guys the wheather man lied to me here in chicago.. it was in the 40's and rainging so i did not mess with the car. I only have time on weekeneds so I will get on it this weekened and let you guys know whats going on. I never had any problems with it before it just went like dat in one day basically..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor