I Don't Buy Christmas Gifts But I Ain't Scrooge (yet)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My son's chainsaw is old and battered and needs a rebuild so and I need to get some wood cut for him for his woodstove. I don't buy "gifts" at the so called appropriate times cause I dispise the "all about money and gifts" at Christmas so it's a erfect time to pick up a new chansaw for him so I can cut some wood. I'm picking up a Echo 50.2cc 20" tomorrow morning. It's new and comes with a receipt with the 5 year warranty for $320....they are $500 here plus tax.

Reactions: 7 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree. Christmas with presents is for kids. Adults "should" be about the Charlie Brown meaning of Christmas. So to satisfy the adults who act like kids I stash stuff I would get them anyway all year to give them at Holiday time. They never catch on.....

Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The grandkids get spoiled at Christmas and can't remember the next day what they got. My sons and their wiives (they each only have one so don't start any rumors) like it that I don't feel pressured to buy the kids gifts for the "Day". I take them out a few days after Christmas to get something they really wanted but it didn't show up plus I buy them stuff throughout the year.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
When I bought the house from the folks, not only did they give me a smokin deal, but Pop's housewarming present was a Stihl MS290 with an 18" bar. It's been used yearly for 17, and hasn't skipped a beat. Sure, I've put a bar and several chains on, but it's the original spark plug and air filter.

Reactions: 5 users
Nov 4, 2012
Echo saws are great. They have a 5 year consumer warranty that is unmatched. I love my little CS-310. They benefit greatly from removing the limiter caps and opening up the muffler, but most people don't want to get into that.

IMG_20191024_162945588-2137x1603.jpg

For the big stuff I use my Stihl 028 Woods Boss!

IMG_20191014_201239357-2137x1362.jpg

I assume you are referring to the CS-490. They are powerful saws. Echo says to run it at 50:1, but tell your son to run it at 40:1. It'll last longer and its not too rich to start leaving excess carbon deposits inside the exhaust port or combustion chamber. Use the RedArmor oil too, it's probably the best 2 cycle oil you can buy.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had a nice Craftsman that I totally wore out. Since then I have gone electric and I am happy with them. I have an 18" Craftsman I found in the garbage and fixed it with a new trigger switch. I have a small 14" Homelite I got at Englishtown for $7. It is my workhorse that I keep in the garage. Why do the oilers always fail? I am constantly fixing them.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor