I have a 1982 Olds Cutlass Calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

n00b
Dec 1, 2020
I was just wanting to to know what other vehicle will the rear end match underneath of my car but has a posi

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
All Gbodies with the GN and 442/Hurst 8.5 being the strongest. You can have a Ford 9 inch made by Quick Performance for decent money.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The usual, affordable upgrade is the Monte SS 7 5/8" rear, either 3.42 or 3.73 for 85 and up. They are slightly stronger, still cheap but a posi will be harder to find. Even a good number of the 8.5" came without posi.

Reactions: 1 user

Shaggy

n00b
Dec 1, 2020
The usual, affordable upgrade is the Monte SS 7 5/8" rear, either 3.42 or 3.73 for 85 and up. They are slightly stronger, still cheap but a posi will be harder to find. Even a good number of the 8.5" came without posi.
Okay it seems I have to do some more research on what type of rear end I have in my car

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Pictures, I used to have a 83 calis black with red interior had it for 2 months before I sold it to some peeps from cali after I fixed the transmission, changed from 3 speed to OD

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Even a good number of the 8.5" came without posi.
The reason for that was the inclusion of the "Select-a-unit" ordering process in the early 80s. To make it easier for the dealerships to order cars with value packages. Like a tier system. You just added different levels of option packages. But even at the highest option package, unfortunately, there was no "Kitchen Sink" option that included everything. G80 (limited-slip) was one of the few options that was not included in the "Select-a-unit" package, for whatever reason. Thus, G80 was a stand alone option on G-bodies. I'm not aware of any G-body that rolled off the assembly line with it standard. There may be some, I'm just not aware of them. Can't be many, if at all. So unless the guy in charge of putting in car orders was savvy enough to know, or a customer asked for it, they usually didn't bother with putting G80 on the order sheet. As such, a great many 442, Monte SS's, GN's, and others, didn't come with posi.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The reason for that was the inclusion of the "Select-a-unit" ordering process in the early 80s. To make it easier for the dealerships to order cars with value packages. Like a tier system. You just added different levels of option packages. But even at the highest option package, unfortunately, there was no "Kitchen Sink" option that included everything. G80 (limited-slip) was one of the few options that was not included in the "Select-a-unit" package, for whatever reason. Thus, G80 was a stand alone option on G-bodies. I'm not aware of any G-body that rolled off the assembly line with it standard. There may be some, I'm just not aware of them. Can't be many, if at all. So unless the guy in charge of putting in car orders was savvy enough to know, or a customer asked for it, they usually didn't bother with putting G80 on the order sheet. As such, a great many 442, Monte SS's, GN's, and others, didn't come with posi.

Hmmm, every 8.5 G-body rear I've taken apart has been a posi. But there are 2 in that group lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor