I have lights, but no power to ignition. No turn signals and power antenna motor is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I thought today would be the day of joy to finally get the 79 Hurst started and now this. It started before. My last fix was adding a new
mechanical fuel pump to the block.

Now why is the power antenna trying to run? I unplugged the connector. Still no start.

I checked the fuses, all seem to be fine.

Is there a fusible link somewhere? I can't recall if they used them back in 79 or not.............

I am so lost on electronics..............just enough common sense to replace a fuse but not enough to try to figure out
what happened between there and now.

Any help is appreciated. Today was to be such a great day......................

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Antenna running means that the internal mast has snapped and lost connection with the drive. Unplug the 3 wire connector (green, white, black?) near the blower motor, under the hood to stop it.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Antenna running means that the internal mast has snapped and lost connection with the drive. Unplug the 3 wire connector (green, white, black?) near the blower motor, under the hood to stop it.

I wrote that I did unplug the connector............and yes that stopped the motor. but it didn't solve my other issues....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There are fusible links but they don't blow from sitting around for the winter. Do you lights work cause if they do they work off the same fusible link as your starter switch does. To test the other fusible link see if you have power on the 12 volt termail on the back of the alternator. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and the ground on the engine. If they are all good and you have nothing turning the key check the battery cable on the starter has power and with someone turning the key to start that the purple wire on the S terminal on the solinoid has power. If it does then it's the solenoid that is bad

Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
There are fusible links but they don't blow from sitting around for the winter. Do you lights work cause if they do they work off the same fusible link as your starter switch does. To test the other fusible link see if you have power on the 12 volt termail on the back of the alternator. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and the ground on the engine. If they are all good and you have nothing turning the key check the battery cable on the starter has power and with someone turning the key to start that the purple wire on the S terminal on the solinoid has power. If it does then it's the solenoid that is bad

I have 14.5 volts going to the back of the alternator...........is that too high?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 14.5 volts going to the back of the alternator...........is that too high?

I would check the battery itself cause that should be the same as the back of the alternator. I would supsect the tool you used many be a bit off but it does tell you the fusible link is good

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Okay, I have 12.5 volts to the red wire on the back of the alternator WITH KEY OFF.............
With KEY ON................0

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Also the battery seems to seeping a lot of water.......and all it is on is a battery tender.............the battery tender
shows charged...........I have removed the battery caps and I can see bubbles....................

battery shows over 13 volts at the terminals.........

Last edited:

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I'm giving you all the info I can to help find the issue. Sorry if what I post is irrelevant to the problem........

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would take it off the battery tender. It sounds to me like the battery is overcharged. It sounds like it is boiling over the electrolyte (acid). Also 12.35 volts or higher (with everything turned off) is fully charged. It's not unusual to see low 13's when you've charged a battery but 14.5 sounds pretty high to me (could be your meter is reading high). I'd pull the battery and have it tested. Be sure to neutralize any acid that got on the battery tray, frame, etc. I use a paste of water and baking soda. I've never used a battery tender. I've heard of them going bad though.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor