I have lights, but no power to ignition. No turn signals and power antenna motor is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
you probablly have the filter in backwards

Got the spring inside first, then the solid end of the fuel filter against the spring. Then the fuel filter with the rubber opening
facing toward the incoming fuel line.............

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Got the spring inside first, then the solid end of the fuel filter against the spring. Then the fuel filter with the rubber opening
facing toward the incoming fuel line.............

you have it right but it could be a defective filter

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
When you got the few dribbles down inside the carb air horn when moving the accellerator with the fuel filter out, then I would say the carb got gunked up sitting.

Ive had some luck with seafoam treated fuel.. if its a minor clog, it may do the trick.. will take some cranking to get the treated fuel into the carb for it to do its thing tho..

-Gonz

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
you have it right but it could be a defective filter
But if the car will not run even without the filter.........then I think the filter is not the issue...........
if it was defective........then when I removed it and ran the fuel straight in, the car should run. Or am I confused?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
When you got the few dribbles down inside the carb air horn when moving the accellerator with the fuel filter out, then I would say the carb got gunked up sitting.

Ive had some luck with seafoam treated fuel.. if its a minor clog, it may do the trick.. will take some cranking to get the treated fuel into the carb for it to do its thing tho..

-Gonz

Thx Gonz, yes the car has been sitting and the car barely ran when i bought it. But at least it ran but no real power on throttle opening.
The seller rebuilt the carb but how far did he go? If the carb looks like the gas tank did, then I think I have a total teardown of a carb
in my future.............or just buy an Edelbrock. I've had so much luck with Edelbrock............almost unbox install tweak and drive.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Thx Gonz, yes the car has been sitting and the car barely ran when i bought it. But at least it ran but no real power on throttle opening.
The seller rebuilt the carb but how far did he go? If the carb looks like the gas tank did, then I think I have a total teardown of a carb
in my future.............or just buy an Edelbrock. I've had so much luck with Edelbrock............almost unbox install tweak and drive.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Someone "rebuilt" the carb, and screwed it up.. and it never Did run right from the get-go..

Yeah, you could go to Edelbrock. Not sure if you have a computer controlled engine like my 86 GP. If you do, you might consider having the stock one rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

There is a company people recommend here.. Performance... something. They specialize in rebuilding older carbs. You tell them what you're putting it on, and they tweak it for you... just bolt it on, hook up the lines and go. They're a little expensive, Ive heard.. but well worth it. Fortunately, I have no carb issues *knock on wood*

Found it... Everyday-performance.com

-Gonz

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Someone "rebuilt" the carb, and screwed it up.. and it never Did run right from the get-go..

Yeah, you could go to Edelbrock. Not sure if you have a computer controlled engine like my 86 GP. If you do, you might consider having the stock one rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing.

There is a company people recommend here.. Performance... something. They specialize in rebuilding older carbs. You tell them what you're putting it on, and they tweak it for you... just bolt it on, hook up the lines and go. They're a little expensive, Ive heard.. but well worth it. Fortunately, I have no carb issues *knock on wood*

Found it... Everyday-performance.com

-Gonz

Ahhhhhhhhh okay great...........thanks for finding that. My 79 is not electronically controlled........thus the reason I thought about Edelbrock.
Im calling it a night. This has been one frazzled brain day.............thanks so much for all the posts.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Lucky you! Pop an Edelbrock on it and call it a day :)

-Gonz

• Indifferent
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor