I have lights, but no power to ignition. No turn signals and power antenna motor is running

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Lucky you! Pop an Edelbrock on it and call it a day :)

-Gonz
Definitely considering it............watching one QJet rebuild video after another and when I look at the simplicity
of an Edelbrock..............I wonder why I just don't save the Qjet, put it on the box with other original parts and
throw an Edelbrock on it and move on to other less taxing things.

I need a victory here soon........with failing health issues and failing marriage issues, my faith and this car is all
I've been hanging on to of late. And when the car joins the list of failing issues, even my faith begins to grow faint.

Thanks to all that have posted on this thread.....................the comments and suggestions have helped a whole lot
more than just the car...................bless all contributors.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I wouldn't use an Edelbrock carb, especially if you want to slap something on and have it work right out of the box.

I've had good luck with Edelbrocks in the past....and what makes getting one carb out of a box any different than getting another carb
out of another box. There's no guarantees that either one will be a slap and go fix.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
JMO, I haven't seen too many people happy with them, yet every other car at a show/cruise-in with a SBC has one on it. I think getting yours rebuilt correctly would be a better option. techg8 from Everyday is a member here with very good reviews.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree with fleming442, get the quadrajet rebuilt and you'll be much happier with it than you would be with an eldebrock

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
I've run both... Only trouble I'd ever had was with a QJet and thats just because it was older and needed rebuilt. The Edelbrocks were all new, and never had an issue, nor had ot have them rebuilt.

QJet on a Olds 455 - Ran Great.
QJet on a Pont 400 - Ran Great.
Edelbrock on a Goodwrench Crate 350 - Ran Great.
Edelbrock on the same Pont 400 above later on down the road with an Offenhauser intake - Ran Great.
QJect on a 305 now. Runs great.

Only Holley I ran was on a Ford 302 and it was a piece of sh*t. I will never run Holley.

I think its going to come down to Cost vs. Time Waiting for him. Whichever is the quicker route to satisfaction.

-Gonz

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
An edelbrock will not give you the combination of fuel mileage and performance that you get from a quadrajet. I also doubt the edelbrock will last as long as the 79 quadrajet did

Last edited:

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I have the specific and hard to find NOS mast correct for a '79 H/O for $150 or I can replace the cable with a push-pull cable for $100 instead of the aftermarket braided cable. Benefit to a push pull is no binding when the antenna is being extended as braided cable likes to do.

Attachments

• nosmast.jpg
    nosmast.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor