I have my grand mothers 1984 Monte with cloth landau 305 ac and wire wheels approx 54000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincg

n00b
Oct 21, 2014
Brooklyn , New York
Wow you all should be ashamed
Guy asks an honest simple question and ya get "MILLIONS","top has to be perfect " take it to barett jackson "
Either ya trying to just be an a--hole or beating the guy up to lower the price if your not interested in his cat and have nothing helpful to say ya should have kept scrolling... all [most ] of our cars started as less desirable regular junk unless you bought it done or inherited it done ( not my luck ) ... help instead of hurt guy if it's in nice shape ie; paint interior ... keep it fix the lil stuff get your son to help he will get the bug and if not it's good time together . Big tires some chrome maybe swap the motor and if it's not the "car " it'll be worth more . Dont let any one put your car down so to lowball it . Just me no offense intended .

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Wow you all should be ashamed
Guy asks an honest simple question and ya get "MILLIONS","top has to be perfect " take it to barett jackson "
Either ya trying to just be an a--hole or beating the guy up to lower the price if your not interested in his cat and have nothing helpful to say ya should have kept scrolling... all [most ] of our cars started as less desirable regular junk unless you bought it done or inherited it done ( not my luck ) ... help instead of hurt guy if it's in nice shape ie; paint interior ... keep it fix the lil stuff get your son to help he will get the bug and if not it's good time together . Big tires some chrome maybe swap the motor and if it's not the "car " it'll be worth more . Dont let any one put your car down so to lowball it . Just me no offense intended .
Nice first post. Did you wait 5+ years just for this thread? When you said "all" you included me, so I'm pushing back on that. When someone comes out of the gate lecturing others, it tells me a whole lot of something.

Facts- He's the one that showed up with no pictures, only a description, saying he knows what he has. Which is smug car speak for "I think it's worth a lot of money so don't try and act like it isn't." That's usually going to be met with similar reactive attitudes. And there's never been any prices mentioned that I recall, so how do you get someone is trying to lowball him?

We were simply trying to tell him that although it may be a nice car, and pics would help determine how nice, be ready for the stark realization of the actual market value of the car is likely far below what he feels it may be worth due to the common generality of the car. I, for one, did not poop on his dream. But I only offered my own opinion. I am never going to be ashamed of my opinion because it just is what it is. If you want a different answer, you'll have to go ask someone else.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 13 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This^^^

It's not like everyone ganged up on a classified ad. It's a vague "feeler" post in the general section with ambiguous descriptors and no photos.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If he would have posted pictures first along with asking our opinions on what the car could be worth this would have been a completely different thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Nice first post. Did you wait 5+ years just for this thread? When you said "all" you included me, so I'm pushing back on that. When someone comes out of the gate lecturing others, it tells me a whole lot of something.

Facts- He's the one that showed up with no pictures, only a description, saying he knows what he has. Which is smug car speak for "I think it's worth a lot of money so don't try and act like it isn't." That's usually going to be met with similar reactive attitudes. And there's never been any prices mentioned that I recall, so how do you get someone is trying to lowball him?

We were simply trying to tell him that although it may be a nice car, and pics would help determine how nice, be ready for the stark realization of the actual market value of the car is likely far below what he feels it may be worth due to the common generality of the car. I, for one, did not poop on his dream. But I only offered my own opinion. I am never going to be ashamed of my opinion because it just is what it is. If you want a different answer, you'll have to go ask someone else.

"A lot" of people say "all...." a Lot. I am quite certain he meant to address "some" of the responses here. Your reply, 69hurstolds even though you were pushing back, was not "in your face get the !#&! off my site" kind of response. I do agree with your post.

Lowball reference..
"Dont let any one put your car down so to lowball it . Just me no offense intended"

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
This^^^

It's not like everyone ganged up on a classified ad. It's a vague "feeler" post in the general section with ambiguous descriptors and no photos.

OP may be a bit optimistic, sure. May not have a car, may not have a lake house where the car is supposed to be...but in less than 1 hour after posting, the piling on started.
"I have it stored at my lake property. it may be a week or two until i have time to go get pics."

Reactions: 1 user

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
If he would have posted pictures first along with asking our opinions on what the car could be worth this would have been a completely different thread.

Agree. Sometimes on my list of things to get done, I've thrown out feelers to get the ball rolling. Not the best technique, but sometimes you just have to move on..

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Big tires some chrome maybe swap the motor and if it's not the "car " it'll be worth more .

I question the veracity of this statement. IMO, that kind of expenditure is seldom recouped upon sale in this type of automobile.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Labor costs and "accessories" hardly ever are recouped. This is why 99% of the time, you'll have a lot of sunk costs that are hard to recover.

If you get a very nice, hardly any maintenance car in the first place, it's usually worth paying a few grand more for. The savings in time and $ alone over restoring usually is worth it. Not in every case, but mostly.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Feeler posts are just one of my many pet peeves. But I have absolutely no problem with a new member listing a traditional ad in the for sale section. An honest description, clear photos, and a price. Even if the price is ridiculous, they're free to ask it. Offering up the sale of a Gbody to the most likely buyers makes great sense for both sides. Price too high? Well, the market settles that argument so no need to thread-crap a classified ad. This thread is an entirely different animal but I wouldn't be shocked if it gets locked or deleted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor