I need a small but quiet muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Something I didn't see mentioned was a j-pipe. This is a misunderstood subject. Many factory mufflers, such as 2010 up camaro, have an internal j-pipe. A j-pipe is just a capped off section of pipe that allows sound waves (not airflow) to go in , bounce back, and cancel out. ABSOLUTELY NO performance lost. Some systems, such as aftermarket ones made for LS powered GTO's used a j-pipe with no mufflers to be full out loud with no drone. Nothing new here, just not common knowledge.
Home and commercial water pipe systems have a dead ended cap off somewhere to dampen and eliminate pipe banging noise.Similar thing.
There are these formulas to calculate the heinzholm frequency to determine best length of j-pipe application, but I get lost with all that crap. Some premade setups have a sliding adjustment to change the range that you get the canceling effect.
As far as mufflers ,corsa is one of the brands using noise cancelling chambers, which commonly remove a section of sound and get rid of drone. They are making universal mufflers now, but last I checked a little hard to find and worst of all for us, their sh#t ain't cheep. Bout 300 bucks for a muffler last I checked.
That's my free time limit at the moment, google search time.;) What you don't know may help.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Something I didn't see mentioned was a j-pipe. This is a misunderstood subject. Many factory mufflers, such as 2010 up camaro, have an internal j-pipe. A j-pipe is just a capped off section of pipe that allows sound waves (not airflow) to go in , bounce back, and cancel out. ABSOLUTELY NO performance lost. Some systems, such as aftermarket ones made for LS powered GTO's used a j-pipe with no mufflers to be full out loud with no drone. Nothing new here, just not common knowledge.
Home and commercial water pipe systems have a dead ended cap off somewhere to dampen and eliminate pipe banging noise.Similar thing.
There are these formulas to calculate the heinzholm frequency to determine best length of j-pipe application, but I get lost with all that crap. Some premade setups have a sliding adjustment to change the range that you get the canceling effect.
As far as mufflers ,corsa is one of the brands using noise cancelling chambers, which commonly remove a section of sound and get rid of drone. They are making universal mufflers now, but last I checked a little hard to find and worst of all for us, their sh#t ain't cheep. Bout 300 bucks for a muffler last I checked.
That's my free time limit at the moment, google search time.;) What you don't know may help.
Saw that J pipe setup on a aftermarket exhaust for a buddy’s car. It said it was “adjustable” for drone noise but still keep going tone.

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I was reading about those and it seemed great, other than my packaging requirements meaning it's probably a no-go. Some of the Flowmaster stuff is using a similar concept. Unfortunately, all of them are just huuuuuuge.

But... Amazon totally screwed my on the cat I ordered and hasn't shipped it. Classic honeypot, it was 20% cheaper than Summit, but it doesn't actually exist sooooo that's not a better deal. I ordered a resonator too, figuring I'd leave myself some options, it might show up today. Then I can see how it all might fit.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I was working on design today. Will weld up a couple different designs this week and send to you to try.

Just to verify you have 2.5 ID coming from over axle?

I need to look up actual firing order, yet so far the drone mathematically is somewhere between 46 to 54 Hz, so very low frequency.

Is the cam stock OEM?

Reactions: 1 user

2drx4

Greasemonkey
May 28, 2022
The middle of BC, Canada
I was working on design today. Will weld up a couple different designs this week and send to you to try.

Just to verify you have 2.5 ID coming from over axle?

I need to look up actual firing order, yet so far the drone mathematically is somewhere between 46 to 54 Hz, so very low frequency.

Is the cam stock OEM?
It's 2.5 OD. 1-5-3-6-2-4. It has a "long tube" header on it too, although I'd say it's more like a shorty in any other application. But it definitely is a low frequency drone.

I really don't think you want to be sending me anything though... It's not going to be cheap.

I'm not going to have it driving again tomorrow, but Amazon did deliver the resonator I ordered. I will see if I can fit it, but what started as a link mount repair has turned into plating half the frame, new mounts, new links, bumpstop and shock adjustments, and probably a bunch of other stuff that will be knock-on effects from the other things being changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor