I need Options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Just when I was getting started on the Sanding and Primer on the body (slowly due to weather) Today earlier I had the Malibu towed to Mosteller Auto Repair again. The Engine was idling erratic and seemed to not be getting oil. Checking the dip stick I found a grainy substance. Decided to have the car towed to find the problem I couldn't solve. But the Mechanic did. He said the Barring is about to give. Will need a new engine. I was going to either re-build or replace the motor anyway. But this puts that ahead of everything else I wanted to get done over the summer.

I need options. Mechanic will look into getting me a motor as cheaply as possible either the 229 or 350 which ever is cheapest. I was looking at few 350 Engine video's on Youtube, definitely considering that swap if the motor is cheap enough. There's just the other minor bits that will be needed to get that swap out complete.

So what should I do on a $1000.00 budget,

- Get a Cheap Junkyard Engine direct vin replacement or 350?
- Buy a Rebuild kit if there is one for the K 229 3.8L
- Other

I was wanting to wait for the Engine rebuild/Swap whatever I decided to do later, many more things this car needs. Now I have to jump on rebuilding/swap of the engine earlier than expected as luck would have it. Your feedback here is most appreciated.

20200626_171700.jpg
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I owned one, IMO a 229 is not worth the effort or expense to rebuild.

You could look at CL and FB Marketplace, often there are used pullouts (305 or 350) at reasonable prices. Not as good as a fresh build, but a lower-cost way to get back on the road for the short-medium term.

I will say with a $1000 budget, pro labor is going to eat up a lot of it, so could be difficult staying in that range.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
Go with the 350. Look at it this way...if you tire of the 350 down the road you can always sell it. Can’t really sell a 229 there’s no market for them.

Reactions: 1 users

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
350 swap don't waste your time with the v6 if you got a bone yard close by and if it's a u pull it yard everything is cheaper
Don't forget about a trans for the 350

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Echoing others, the 229 isn't worth the effort or expense. Anything you spend won't be valuable in a resale sense down the road since it's pretty clear you have zero interest in keeping a 229.

Now, if you talk to the shop about being on a restricted budget they may be ok with you doing some basic prep work on the swaps - draining fluids, removing shrouds/radiator, etc etc. At $50/hr or so it adds up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
swapping out a 350 will be the cheapest way to go......do not let the LS diehards try to talk you into doing an LS swap...

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
And when you do go to get one, might as well try to find a Vortec. Least not for the 1 piece rear main seal and having it be a roller block. Unless you want to stick to a mechanical fuel pump, I don’t think the 1 piece blocks have the provisions for it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since the goal seems to be on getting it running I would normally say go with the 350 SBC but because of your extremely limited budget I would probably go with a 305 SBC I see them around here for next to nothing a 350 will demand more money and if you are paying a mechanic to swap it that is going to eat up a majority of your money and the reality is if you are going to own a Gbody you really need to learn to do your own work.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor