I Propose A New Trend: 80's Touring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Let's face it: Pro Touring really got it's start in the latter part of the 1980's. It was started by enthusiasts who wanted better handling cars they could drive every day. Car Craft's "Real Street Eliminator" focused on this sort of vehicle, and many of them were G bodies. Street Rod guys have Rat Rods, so why not start a nostalgia movement of our own?

The rules would be simple, and the cars cheaper to build than full on Pro Touring show rods that have six digit budgets and are no more usable than Pro Street cars were. For wheels, 16's would be the right size to go with as 17+ in rims were not really available in the 80's. Mesh wheels like Enkei 92's or GTA wheels would be the right style, as would Ronal 5 spokes and IROC-Z rims. Since the 80's are the target, the engine could be carburated, or fuel injected with that new fangled TPI system GM just introduced in 1985. No need for an LS1 swap, just simple, bolt in Gen 1 SBC's, Olds 350's, and Turbo Buicks. Extra points for a stock looking engine bay and working comfort options. Body mods would be limited to what most people would do with a relatively new car back then, so it would be pretty cheap and not really require anything more than a decent paint job in a stock type color. The interior could stay the same, but old school Recaro seats could be substituted for the originals. Modern "Cobra Head" seat backs need not apply. A nice stereo would be fine as long as it integrated well with the car. The 1980's were, after all, the decade when huge stereos came into vogue. Extra points for using an 80's head unit too, but I think it would be hard to find one that still works and has a CD player. A 5 speed swap would also work well. GM even did one on the Cutlass FE3-X show car of 1985. You could upgrade the brakes with factory parts from other cars, or in a pinch use a good aftermarket kit with PBR calipers as they were used in Vettes and 1LE F bodies. For the suspension, some simple, bolt on parts would do the trick. No air bags allowed either as they were not used on the original Pro Touring cars of the 80's.

The best thing of all is that this could still be done cheaply. The parts are not unreasonable yet, and they still abound in junkyards compared to 60's stuff. Best of all, these cars were the genesis point for well engineered bolt on upgrades like cat back exhausts, etc. Most of which you can still buy new. Plus, these were comfortable cars with their plush interiors and loads of power options all of which can stay and be maintained with stock parts. If you adopt this trend, you are no longer behind the times with regards to style either. No, you would be a trend setter in a new ironic automotive movement. As for me, the street rod guys can have the rat rods, I will enjoy my stereo in air conditioned nostalgic style while sitting in a plush, velour interior and kickin' it 80's style!

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
I did the 80's touring thing for a while... and I still am with my Malibu and let me tell ya, it sucks - just like the 80's! :lol:

I'm all for the factory vibe, but with the modern good inside!

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
I'm in ... but I like Tony, think that most of the parts during that time sucked. So I think that using upgraded gagues, seats, CD players, brakes, etc. is ok.

Basically the theme should be "function over form" .. with a STRONG emphasis towards a car that is fully tuned to handle well and hold it's on on the street (not just a drag car like most g-bodies are).

So yeah .. I'm down for the G-town touring plan!

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
Kind of a budget pro tour useing mostly the best factory parts to build a car that goes fast & handles. Yea sounds familar. I don't have the 16" wheels but I do have 15x7 & widened 15x8 factory ralleys with wide tires. Also use the best factory sway bars and the best factory springs as well as the best gbody braceing. New better pads & rotors with s-10 wheel cylinders and aluminum drumbs in the rear. Skinney 14x6 wheels & SOFT springs & spindly or no sway bars suck. It our duty to upgrade em. :)

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
^ Yes Vern ...

It is our empowered duty to uphold the diligent laws of the G-body klan to bring forth pwn'age and decimation to all that is not of American heritage on strips, street, and least not .. in the corners!

:lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Upgraded springs, shocks, sway bars, etc. were all available in the 80's, thus they would be allowed in 80's touring. Companies such as Herb Adams, HO Racing, Global West, etc. all developed many of their parts and ideas in the 80's, many of which are still available today. Good seats were too, they just looked different, and their style fits better in an 80's car than the seats used by import guys today. They had support on the sides of the seats, they just are not all the way to the top. The head rests were also adjustable and the seats lacked the harness holes at the top. The wheel selection would be limited to what would have been put on a handling upgraded car of the 80's, not newer offerings like the Torq Thrust II that everyone seems to love now. Since they are used and a bit out of style, they are cheap to buy. Plus, 16 in tires are cheaper than 17+in tires, thus cutting a significant amount of money off the price of the car's build up. Remember that the idea is not to have the ultimate car with the latest parts that cost a fortune, but rather to have a car that is fun to drive and distinctive. It's a budget idea using inexpensive recycled parts instead of pricey new ones in most cases. The whole idea is a back to basics approach that allows people of lesser means to still build an enjoyable car that does it all.

Here's an 80's Recaro seat in an Audi:
023__scaled_600_006.jpg

Another set of vintage Recaros:
browncarrecaros.jpg

These seats need not be expensive to buy either as they were used in VW GTI's, BMW E30 M3's and 325 IS models, 1982 Camaro Pace Cars, Fox body Mustangs, VW Corrados, some Audi's and Porsches, etc. most of which are junkyard plentiful for $10-20 each. Just reupholster to match your car using OEM fabrics that are still available from companies like SMS Auto Fabrics.

Here are my Enkei 92's in 16x8 in:
l_dafb2f675e98cac0fdd4c29a8288fe61.jpg

A popular thing to do to these was to paint the spiders to match the body color. White was popular, which also allows you to do budget paint and hide flaws. If you see Miami Vice reruns, you will find this style was prevalent.

If anything, it should get you thinking and maybe make you look at the import section of the U Pull it now and then. The German and Japanese cars of the 80's and 90's sometimes have interesting bits and pieces that would visually work in a G body, and cost very little to acquire.

CostasCutlass

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
NJ, 07003
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Here's an 80's Recaro seat in an Audi:
023__scaled_600_006.jpg
ros:

That wouldn't happen to be an Audi 5000 would it? Or is it 100?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I found it on Google pictures, but I think it is an Audi 4000 Quattro. It wasn't the 5000, because the front end was different, it's the older one that they had a 3 door hatch version of that said "Coupe" between the tailights. It's definitely not a 100, but there are several Audi's that offered Recaro Seats in the 80's as they were THE seat to have back then. The most common application I have seen is the BMW 325 IS and 325 ES ( the E model had the "Eta" engine, and predates the I models which had a more powerful version of that engine. "S" stands for sport.). These BMW's are the small ones, and had front air dams and BBS wheels as part of the S package. I just tend to look at all the European stuff when I go junkyarding, as they tend to be the most sporty. I also look at Japanese cars as they tend to have the best chance of having good speakers installed by teenage boys, which I then harvest.

I just wish I knew how to do upholstery work myself, as trim work is expensive to pay for.

jonnyslick

G-Body Guru
Jun 2, 2008
Crossville, TN
^ Yeah those seats are cool and I'd be fine with that. One thing though is that the rims are gonna' be next to impossible to find. I mean I've been looking for a set of Enkei's like yours and am coming up with nothing. You got to figure most g-body owners that upgraded their wheels back in the day probably put some "American" or "Muscle" style wheels on them and not European or Japanese meshies. GNX and GTA stuff is expensive and heavy in comparison to the newer stuff.

The wheels would be the hardest part to find, and honestly the part you want to look the best as they will be what ultimatly defines the entire project.

Would a NASCAR style wing like this be out of the question for this style of tuning?

80954545gy1.jpg

I think it would look the part. And ... it was in the 80's and part of racing so ... should do just fine huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor