I think I messed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Well I rebuilt my daughters front suspension on her Monte Carlo. New tie rods, links, poly bushing and tall ball joints. What I did not get was upper control arms.
Now that I am done:unsure: I think with the tall ball joint you have to change arm:blam: or maybe offset cross bar. Looks like I have way to much negative camber.
I have not had it aligned yet. Ok tell me how much I screwed up. :doh:

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with a tall ball joint that would give you more positive camber. You may not have enough room to add alignment shims to get the camber you want so you can either change to longer bolts so you can add the appropriate amount of shims or to get a shorter upper. The UB Machine uppers come in 8" lengths. The stock is 8.5"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Well new bolts won't be to bad. hope that's all it takes thanks.

oldolds

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2017
pine city/rosaila washington
i fixed a mans car once who had such tall tires it wouldn't turn but a few inches before hitting the frame he drove it to my house with no alignment shims in the upper arm and couldn't figure out why it drove like crap so i used a level and washers and set the camber pretty close but it looked ugly but it worked. i think the tires were 27 in or some ridiculous size. and he was pissed at the tire shop because they charged him1000 bucks to fix it and they screwed it all up. i never got paid for that job it doesn't pay to be nice sometimes.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
i fixed a mans car once who had such tall tires it wouldn't turn but a few inches before hitting the frame he drove it to my house with no alignment shims in the upper arm and couldn't figure out why it drove like crap so i used a level and washers and set the camber pretty close but it looked ugly but it worked. i think the tires were 27 in or some ridiculous size. and he was pissed at the tire shop because they charged him1000 bucks to fix it and they screwed it all up. i never got paid for that job it doesn't pay to be nice sometimes.
If he didn't pay you for fixing his car, was he supposed to? If so, that would be the LAST time I worked on his car. That's for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

if you are not a licensed mechanic carrying insurance I would be carefull working on stranger's cars when it comes to setting up suspension parts and alignment. If something happens like a car accident you are taking a chance of being blamed by the owner of the car.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
if you are not a licensed mechanic carrying insurance I would be carefull working on stranger's cars when it comes to setting up suspension parts and alignment. If something happens like a car accident you are taking a chance of being blamed by the owner of the car.
But if he never paid him, he could say, "Who are you? I've never seen you before in my life." Just sayin'. Prove I worked on it. No receipt or other conclusive evidence, it never happened.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Like always, I'm slow on the updates. Got the Monte done and running straight. Wasn't so much the caster camber as the toe in. OOps.
She said it actually turns when she turn the wheel now. New brakes help it stop too.

Reactions: 2 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Here is her car.
1580239709084.png

Reactions: 3 users

SSpev

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2017
Got this for her 8 years ago. WAS rust free and CLEAN. All original but the repaint. She thought is was a grandpa car, had wires on it then. Put S10 wheels on and it got better. Drove it though High school and collage now married. I think see want to fix it up. Rust repair in rockers an paint. I'm not sure how much it is worth to fix up a plan Monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor