I want to make cruise control work with new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Title says it all. Going from bone stock 3.8 with cruise (it worked too!) and I want to keep it if I can with my SBB350. How hard is it, what do I need? Thanks in advance. OH. If it helps, will be running a Q-Jet (off an olds 350 from 76, same year as my Buick) and would I be able to use any of the old computer controlled two barrel stuff? Double thanks.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why not tune the engine to the early spec and not use the computer controlled carb, etc.
The '76 Olds carb should fit that criteria. Perhaps you can locate cruise control parts from a Buick or Olds of that time period...Cutlass, 88, Buick Century, Skylark, LeSabre, etc.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Why not tune the engine to the early spec and not use the computer controlled carb, etc.
The '76 Olds carb should fit that criteria. Perhaps you can locate cruise control parts from a Buick or Olds of that time period...Cutlass, 88, Buick Century, Skylark, LeSabre, etc.
Im going too. I'm ditching the entire computer thing. I just wanted to know if I can use any of the linkage or whatnot or somehow physically hook up the linkage from the v6 twobarrel to the v8 four barrel

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure of what your are asking, here is a picture of a 4 barrel bracket with the pin for the cruise control. If the bracket does not have that pin there is a hole in the bracket to install that pin.

2.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I was gonna try and retrofit the two barrel v6 cruise control linkage to my q-jet on my buick 350 and see if that would work. And thanks for the pic. It helps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think it should work cause the cruise is based on the speedo so as long as you still have all the wiring it should be plug and play..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
if you have the older style cruise with the vac pot that bolts to the bracket behind the linkage and you have a high rise intake you will find the pot sits too high and touches the hood and if you lower it down the throttle cable will interfere with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The cruise control components do take up some real estate under the hood. However, I think it's a matter of finding the right bracket(s) to mount the vacuum servo. Although, I think newer model cars may not use the vacuum pod configuration. You could also look into companies like Dakota Digital, etc.for a universal type cruise control setup, like used in street rods.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok thanks. From what I remember, it's all electronic. No big ol vacuum pod thing on the V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor