I wish all heater cores were as easy as a G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
IMG_20180127_155255.jpg
I just got through doing the heater core on a '98 Grand Cherokee and man that was a b*st*rd. About 8 hours of misery and plastic later it is done, but if I had followed the factory service manual I would be disassembling the thing down to the frame to get it out.
IMG_20180127_162358.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

emperorbrownsuga

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2012
I feel you on that man! Changed heater core on a 2010 town and country twice! Leaking o rings and metal tube clamps. Not to mention pulling all the plastic coverings off to get to it!

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
90's Ford Ranger pickup. Disconnect hoses. Pull glove box. remove two screws on cover plate and remove heater core. Install in reverse order and done in less than 30 minutes. Easiest heater core I ever changed. The worst was a Ford Taurus, late 80's or early 90's.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've been wanting to replace the heater core on my '81 Mercury Capri (Foxbody), but A/C cars entail dropping the dash, where as non-A/C cars have a door like 455'ed80Regal describes on the Ford Ranger.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
90's Ford Ranger pickup. Disconnect hoses. Pull glove box. remove two screws on cover plate and remove heater core. Install in reverse order and done in less than 30 minutes. Easiest heater core I ever changed. The worst was a Ford Taurus, late 80's or early 90's.
I've had both easy & difficult experiences performing this job over the years. I once replaced the heater core in a 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood which was a similar experience to your Ranger experience. I've also had a few difficult experiences where the entire car was built around the heater core. With my difficult experiences it didn't help the situation that I didn't have the service manual and this was before the youtube days..

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Yup i agree. I've had A-bodies most of my life where you would swear the car was built around the heater core. Had put off changing the core in my wagon for years thinking it was the same hassle, and finally decided to do it at the same time as an oil change. The heater core was probably quicker than the oil change.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You should talk to Mark (Bonnewagon) and you'll find you both have the same "respect" for the Jeeps. He just finished an R&R on the alternator in his daughter's Jeep and it took him 6 hours and we all know that Mark knows what he is doing.

I had a heater core in my 96 that was plugged, I flushed it with vinegar for a few hours and that cleaned it out. I took a look at the book on the R&R on the Jeep and I would have scrapped it and bought another before I'd change the heater core.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Mark VII is the worst! Been there, done that, never again. Original (97-03) Expeditions aren't much better.

My F350 was a breeze, and G bodies are pretty easy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor