Ideas on straight pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Why not go straight pipe in place of the cat and a glass pack where the stock muffler was?

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
They may have the "cat" to work as a straight pipe & give the looks of a cat.
I tried to sell my catalytic converter to a scrap dealer and he was going to pay handsomely for it, but it was empty (no catalyst). I was too dumb to realize all the material rattling around in the 36 year old muffler I threw out ('84 monte carlo) was the ceramic catalyst that had gotten blown out... I threw the muffler out before I tried to scrap the cat.

Moral of the story: see if you can empty out the catalytic converter and modify it so that it is just a pipe and put it back it place.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just cut a flap on the bottom of the convertor and open it up and then use an air chisel to clean out the insides, when done I clamp the flap where it was and weld it shut.
If you want to keep it factory looking drop the exhaust down and do it on the top side of the convertor.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'll take a look, thanks. Although I probably will get rid of my cat since my vehicle doesn't require it here in Ontario.

Until MTO catches up with you. Then it's a trip to Fine City.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Until MTO catches up with you. Then it's a trip to Fine City.
Is that anywhere near the Crossbar Hotel? I had heard my hill billy neighbor taklin' 'bout it the otha day.

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
They may have the "cat" to work as a straight pipe & give the looks of a cat.

The faux cat, made a few 25yrs ago using the mt cat shells. Way back when deteriorating cats (not bead style) were just gutted it left an annoying sound of the mt cat chamber. I cut the ends off and slid a straight pipe through. They really didn't look tampered with all at, lol.

Reactions: 1 users

krav84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 7, 2021
what about exhaust cutouts? either electric or manual cable or crawl under and unbolt a plate?
heres some examples on evil amazon webpage

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Do not get rid of you cat if you take it off the car. All it would take is for a law to come into effect saying you have to have all of the components that were on the car when it was sold. That is the way NY is. They do not test if what is coming out the tailpipe meets spec but they do look that the cat is there. Put it on a shelf incase the law changes in your area.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
what about exhaust cutouts? either electric or manual cable or crawl under and unbolt a plate?
heres some examples on evil amazon webpage
If our original poster here is considering a straight pipe, ain't no way in hell is he gonna pony-up for a cut-out system.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor