If I had to start over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
For starters, if anyone recognizes me, the only new developments on my project are an ebay T5 shifter and blue smoke out of my passenger side tailpipe. No garage yet.

Saving money for a house yet wanting more than ever to hotrod, I thought of all the money I’ve spent on my clean slate bone stock Regal over the past 13 years. Here’s what I have to say:

- I never should have bought Viking “coilovers” (they weren’t) but I enjoyed their adjustable shocks. Eibach springs have treated me just fine while racing or on the street. I would just go with that Bilstein/Eibach package that used to be super popular.

- Tall ball joints are an enjoyable modification, but racecar alignments on stock a-arms leave something to be desired in drivability. You at least want adjustable uppers if you go that route.

- Blazer spindles were a cool upgrade but I’m worried about finding new hubs or cool brakes in the future. My wheels probably can’t fit C5 brakes... Stock spindles would have been okay. Drop spindles are neat but be careful with wheel clearance.

- If you want your car to feel like a sporty machine, just buy sway bars and tires. Especially sway bars. They’re my favorite upgrade. But great tires will transform your lap times completely.

- I love my Buick 350, even though it’s only 216hp with a cam and bolt-ons. But I totally should have T5 swapped the Olds 307 first, if possible, and then built my own 350 using a cheaper core instead of buying an abandoned rebuild from a random shop.

- 3.73:1 was AMAZING compared to 2.56:1, but it’s too much gear for me. 3.42 would have been fine. Maybe less.

- Transgo made an excellent shift kit for the 200-4R. I would use it again.

- Only strip out your accessories and sound deadener if you’re making a race car. In the grand scheme of things, you lose more than you gain.

So basically, from stock:
-T5
-245 Summer tires on GM 16s (unless you want spinny tires)
-Sway bars
-Bilstein/Eibach suspension
-Tall ball joints
-Adjustable upper arms for alignment purposes.

Anything else for me is extra.
You can take this big post as a testimony from someone that just enjoys a spirited drive. Feel free to post your own revisions and must-haves below.

• Agree
Reactions: 17 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Pretty much the same.
If I could start over with my knowledge of cars i have now that I didn't have at 15 when I got the car, I would've started building a 350, and found a GN rear and 200r4 immediately. Not cutting and ripping stuff out like I saw on tv shows and roadkill. That's how you build a no title dick around car, not a daily.

And I would have taken better care of it. It's a bit worse for wear, but I still have it.
It's in one piece, but it's got it's fair share of battle scars, bumps, and bruises.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
My advice to my younger self, save and buy a nicer one, instead of trying to resurrect one. Bringing an old and beat unit back to life is cool, but be prepared for alot more work, dollars and time. Be prepared to do some discovering and fixing what previous owners have done.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I would have left my ac box in. Miss having heat. I have everything still, but no time to put it back in.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
My advice? Don't set it aside. Life has a way of preventing you from getting back when you meant to. 3 weeks here, 3 months there, pretty soon you're looking back at 20 years.

• Agree
Reactions: 13 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If I could go back…

Build one project and see it through to drivability / car shows, then proceed to the next project.

Buy a house with enough land for a shop. Get a hydraulic lift. So much time served on dirt and gravel…so much permanent skin damage from ignoring sunscreen.

Stuff my Roth IRA starting at age 20 and do back door conversions. Watch that tax-free retirement grow and grow.

That said, I’ve done some things right…

Took notes from all the good ideas on this Forum.

Grabbed interior parts for the Malibus. Gathered a pile of T5s, bellhousings, American flywheels and a couple 350s.

Lived in the Southwest and gathered up rust-free survivors. Lego kits for my retirement. None of my cars and trucks will be spying on me.

Served in the Navy on submarines around the Pacific and wandered across Europe a few times. I’ve collected lots of memories I can replay in my head while Covid mangles our lives.

I married someone who tolerates my car problem and I did not mess around. Divorce makes a lot of decisions for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I would have left my ac box in. Miss having heat. I have everything still, but no time to put it back in.
At least you kept the parts. Wrap them up carefully and hide them where you can’t drop iron on the box…

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I was just talking to a co-worker about this the other day. Its sad to think that i've been working specifically on Gbodys for almost 20 years now and man would i go back and teach my younger self some things. Main one i think would be as some of you have said not to go yanking things off the cars. I can think back to daily driver cutlass's i had and i would take the AC box out because "weight and HP" yeah thats a stupid on a hot day... and really is a 307 going to run any better without an AC pump? Lets face it also when you're in your teens riding around in a car with no AC in the summer seemed like no big deal but even when your in your 30's you dont want to deal with that crap anymore. Luckily i never went as far as to gut interiors or take sound deadening out. Also i would say not to tear apart a running and driving car with ambitions of "making it better" without first having the parts to put it right back together with and a solid plan. Can tell you how many i did like that. Im fortunate to have had my current cars all for quite some time without any plans to get rid of them and while they may be suffering from my younger self at least i can put them right even if now with work, kids, and all the usual stuff its just going to take me a while longer.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I wouldn't have allowed myself to get distracted by the wagon and TBSS builds. Rather I would have put the time, money, and effort into the Monte.

I will be re-evaluating things once we get settled in the new house.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor