If I were to sell a Buick N/A 3.8...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Since I will have no use whatsoever for my '85 3.8, how much y'all think I'd be able to get for it? It's a 100% complete engine, even got the smog stuff. Air pump may need rebuilt, but those are everywhere for dirt cheap. Anyway, should I sell it whole, part it out, or scrap it? I think it weighing like 400lbs or around there, it'd only be around 80 bucks at most in scrap where I am in Iowa. Thoughts?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Last one I had I used to cover the core charge for a wrecking yard engine. Essentially turned it in to $49.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
In my experience, the right price is out there, but how long do have to trip over it before you and the right price find each other? I worked around a 1972 250-6 for a year and half and by total accident, found a guy on Craigslist who wanted a numbers-matching engine for his 72 pickup. I hustled it over to him before his $300 found another destination. Sometimes it's worth money to have it out of your way. All it takes is one heavy rain after the wind blew the tarp off, and the thing is full of water and junk...

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The GN guys might want it for spare block and heads.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
if the block casting number ends in 109 and the heads casting number ends in 8445 the buick turbo people would be interested. Also if it has good oil pressure the front timing chain cover can bring a few bux.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
thanks for your input guys. I guess I'll keep it for now.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The 250 survived many rain showers because I stuffed the intake with Walmart bags, put an old floormat over the air cleaner, then wrapped a tarp tightly around the engine. The tarp sailed twice in 18 months, but the backups kept the engine clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor