If it ain't one thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
It's always something else....
I just got the new coil from Daytona Sensors that I've been waiting for and got that bolted onto the firewall and hooked up,fired the Monte up and went for a drive.I stopped and popped the hood open for a look and found a coolant leak.I thought it was just the hose clamps a bit loose,but turns out it was the water pump leaking from one of the bolt holes.
I wasn't really surprised as when I put the engine together 4 years ago I somehow had the wrong water pump gaskets but I needed to get it all together and out of my buddy's shop and to the dyno,so I made gaskets out of a piece of cereal box cardboard and ,hey,they lasted four years LOL.
Now I have the proper ones,but what a bugger it is to get the water pump off because the power steering pump bracket is right in the way of the one hard to get at bolt.
But I got the water pump off and glued the new gaskets to the pump with the black aviation gasket sealant,which I hope will hold the gaskets to the pump after sitting all night so I can put it all back together tomorrow
Guy

Reactions: 3 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
cereal box gaskets and a dyno..........................I am starting to feel better about some of my fix's now.

But as you state , hey they lasted 4 years

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
cereal box gaskets and a dyno..........................I am starting to feel better about some of my fix's now.

But as you state , hey they lasted 4 years

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do LOL.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Anyhow,I got the water pump,power steering pump bracket and alternator back on relatively easy.
Then when I went to put the battery cable back on the alternator the battery post on the alternator stripped the threads.
I managed to do a temporary fix on that but I had to take the wire off of the battery cable terminal,where I have a couple of different power wires attached.
As I went to retighten the clamp bolts one of them pulled the nut out,so off to NAPA I go for a new one.
Old cars sure can be frustrating at times LOL
Later on today I will take the alternator off and hopefully get it repaired next week.
When it goes back on,I am going to put a connector on the wire to the battery so that I don't have to take that wire off at the alternator next time,it sure is in an awkward place to get at,in between the alternator and the valve cover.
Guy

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Reading your posts make me think I am almost normal....:)

My buddy Mark at the shop tells me much the same thing LOL
"Stop touching it" is what I hear most often from him.
Theres gotta be something wrong with me,I just cant leave things alone :blam:
Guy

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Anyhow,I asked my buddy Mark at the shop about putting a connector on the wire from the alternator to the battery , but he said that it’s not a good idea.He said that because of the amount of amps that it would likely burn out the connector,and I certainly don’t want that.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can have a quick release connector of some kind to accomplish my goal ??
Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor