If you got the fiber optic indicators on your fenders.HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Guys, I have a 78 Salon which I guess would be the same front fenders as a wagon and 4 door sedan. I got the fiber optic set up off the fenders from an 83 Cutlass Supreme 2 door. The fiber optic wires are broke so I was going to convert to LEDs. I have a few questions. Each housing has three slots. I noticed that on the clear lens, one is painted green. What are the three fiber optic wires going to or indicating? I want the 3 separate slots to light up correctly. ALSO, how far from the front of the fender (without the header) does it go for measurements? Are these that I got the same for the Salon, wagon, and 4 door sedan? I forgot to measure and the fenders are an hour away.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: If you got the fiber optic indicators on your fenders.HE

One is headlight operation, brights, and dims, other is the turn signals. They are not wires, fyi.. they are fiberoptic cable that is inserted into the light housings and bring light into the housings you got from the 83. If the light goes out, no light shines through the cable indicating a burned out bulb condition.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA

What does the middle slot indicate? I've still got blue showing so I know that one is Brights. Used a caliper and a little over 3mm. Found the 3mm 12 volt LEDs on ebay.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

HAFROD said:
The fiber optic wires are broke so I was going to convert to LEDs. I have a few questions. Each housing has three slots. I noticed that on the clear lens, one is painted green.

Here's what a fiber optic lens from a 1983 Cutlass should look like. I've never seen a green one.....ever. Post up some pics....are you sure it hasn't been modified?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA

Yes, its bluish green almost teal. Looks just like those. What does the middle one indicate color wise? I got LEDs=blue for brights, white for low beam, and amber for turn signal.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

HAFROD said:
Yes, its bluish green almost teal. Looks just like those. What does the middle one indicate color wise? I got LEDs=blue for brights, white for low beam, and amber for turn signal.

My car is at the shop so I'm going from memory here but I think your color scheme is correct except the outside lens isn't amber. On a Salon or VIN 9 car the lamps would be amber so I would be OK with that. IIRC, the center lens is for low beam, the blue inside lens is for high beam.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012

HAFROD said:
Guys, I have a 78 Salon which I guess would be the same front fenders as a wagon and 4 door sedan. I got the fiber optic set up off the fenders from an 83 Cutlass Supreme 2 door. The fiber optic wires are broke so I was going to convert to LEDs. I have a few questions. Each housing has three slots. I noticed that on the clear lens, one is painted green. What are the three fiber optic wires going to or indicating? I want the 3 separate slots to light up correctly. ALSO, how far from the front of the fender (without the header) does it go for measurements? Are these that I got the same for the Salon, wagon, and 4 door sedan? I forgot to measure and the fenders are an hour away.

As mentioned they are actually hollow tubes. You say you want to convert to leds but just to let you know you can buy replacement fiber tubing.
I remember covering it i think here on this site, do a little searching I think you can buy it if you chose.

gdouaire

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Aug 7, 2013
Québec City, Québec CANADA

I have a paper template that shows where they go - somebody here on the forum had scanned a fender with the original mounting holes. Send me a PM, will send it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor