HELP Ignition igniting frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
73 ford pinto 1.6L (in my plow buggy)
I have weak spark. Pink, not nice hot blue spark. My timing light will pick up spark on my coil wire, but not on any plug wires. This doesn't make any sense. Only place for that wire to find ground is through a spark plug, so how could I possibly lose so much power through the cap and rotor?

Replaced so far: cap, rotor, points, condenser, plug wires, coil. Had 1 new plug in there and no change.

I'm working in a tent so I can't even bang my head against the wall.

Reactions: 1 user

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Grounds are as follows:
Battery to bell housing 4ga
Transmission to frame 1ga strap
Block bolted directly to frame
Battery to frame 14ga
Battery to engine (coil bracket) 14ga

I might try moving the bell housing ground to something on the block, maybe the motor mount bolt...

I really can't think of anything to make this more grounded but I'm all ears!

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Pull the cap crank the engine see if the rotor is actually spinning, I fought a bunch of stupid issues on a kids mustang this summer, the dowel pin that holds the distributor gear on had broken

Reactions: 1 users

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Possible you have the wrong cap or rotor and the gap is too big? Do you have a hot spark if you check out with the coil wire?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Voltages, what are your voltages? Battery voltage at coil + during cranking. Voltage at coil - should be battery voltage with points open and 0 with points closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor