Ignition lock cylinder removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
I learned something new today.

Every time in the past when I have replaced an ignition lock cylinder there was a special bolt holding it in, either 8mm hex or a small torx. Today, on the '79 Malibu column, I was trying to figure out how to remove the ignition lock cylinder. There was no bolt and looking in the bolt hole I could see threads in the plastic and shiny metal at the very bottom. I looked in the '79 service manual and it said to remove a bolt to remove the lock cylinder. :?: I finally figured out that the lock cylinder was held in by a spring loaded tab. I had to depress the tab with a small screwdriver to remove the ignition lock cylinder. I never ran across one of these before and I think someone might have replaced it before with the wrong ignition switch.

The red arrows indicate the bolt hole and slot for retaining the lock cylinder. Either one or the other is used.

CAM00393_zpsc0695968.jpg

This is the difference in lock cylinders. One has a springy tab and the other has a notch cut for a bolt like I was used to finding.

CAM00388_zpsa1687001.jpg

Maybe this will help someone else out one day.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks for paying it forward. RockAuto lists both types for 1978 and 1979. A 'first design' and 'second design' are listed among the dozen or so options, so it appears GM had a rolling change.

On an unrelated note, RockAuto lists several a 'police package' version. No details on what that means. Anybody got any bright ideas?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the police package version comes with a key that has a metallic strip on it's keychain that lets you get free coffee and donuts when you swipe it at any coffee shop.... :)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
"Police Package" lock cylinders use the same round shaped key as the doors, not a square one like normal.
You can also remove the key while the engine is running.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Quinn & Guys; I'll do some digging in the garage and see if I can find the OE cylinder I removed a few years ago. I've got the old key too (memento not included). I seem to remember the torx bolt, I've had the column apart so many times you would think I would remember what I've seen. Sorry senior moment. And now you guys got me curious about the coffee deal, removing the key in the running position. Anyway give me a day or two and we'll see what came on originally my particular 9C1. Now I've got to look at the build sheet again to refresh my brain to when it was built (June??). Bob Jr.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Remove the key with the engine running? So you can lock the door and walk away in 'hot standby'? I could remove the key from the worn-out ignition lock on my 82 Chevy truck while it was in the 'on/running' position. Bug not a feature.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
Every single car I've ever seen from the 70's or 80's you could remove the ignition key after you start the engine. I just thought that they were all made that way. Must be wear instead.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; Sorry I haven't got back sooner but, I've been having fun in the hobby shop as it's WAY more fun than sitting in front of this computer. Anyway I couldn't get to the boxes that my switch could be in, they're buried too deep (far back). The only light I can offer is my OE key was rectangle (or square) & I seem to remember the screw that got you curious. And I don't recall being able to pull the key with it in the engine run (on) position. I should mention that the doors, trunk & glove box took a different key with an oval head. And as many of you guys know my car is an 9C1. One last tidbit, if in question usually the speedometer in all (?) 9C1's goes to 120 MPH. Mine and all the cop cars I've seen from that period are 120's. Bob Jr.

Attachments

• Malibu Int Dr-view_09.JPG
    Malibu Int Dr-view_09.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,728
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor