Ignition lock cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gt4902

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
The last time I ran my car the lock cylinder was stuck when I tried shutting it off. I had to use alot of force to get it to spin to the off position. When I did I heard a snap. I took the steering wheel off and removed the old cyclinder and found a small peice of metal snapped off into the end of the cyclinder. Im trying to figure out what that peice is called so i can replace it.. Its a small nipple that slides into the end of the cyclinder.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
The last time I ran my car the lock cylinder was stuck when I tried shutting it off. I had to use alot of force to get it to spin to the off position. When I did I heard a snap. I took the steering wheel off and removed the old cyclinder and found a small peice of metal snapped off into the end of the cyclinder. Im trying to figure out what that peice is called so i can replace it.. Its a small nipple that slides into the end of the cyclinder.
Does it have teeth on it?

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
You probably need to replace the rack and sector. Unfortunately , the kits only come with the rack and sector. That piece that broke connects to the sector gear. It may be called the sector shaft . Is your column a tilt or regular?

gt4902

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
You probably need to replace the rack and sector. Unfortunately , the kits only come with the rack and sector. That piece that broke connects to the sector gear. It may be called the sector shaft . Is your column a tilt or regular?

Tilt and has floor shifter

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well it sounds like you still need the rack and sector gear. I’m sure that the issue is worn parts , lack of grease, or hard grease. The rack activates a rod that goes along the column to the ignition switch. Make sure it is not bent or binding.But you still will need to locate the sector drive shaft. I’m not sure if the dealer would be able to supply one or the junkyard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor