Ignition problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

UBOWL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2014
I m having an issue with my ignition switch. It won't spring back to the run position by itself I have to turn it back manually or the starter stays engaged. Other than that all functions work just fine. Any ideas as to what could be the issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
you need to replace the actual ignition switch itself it's down near the bottom of the steering column. the spring inside is broken.

I m having an issue with my ignition switch. It won't spring back to the run position by itself I have to turn it back manually or the starter stays engaged. Other than that all functions work just fine. Any ideas as to what could be the issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

Reactions: 1 user

UBOWL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2014
you need to replace the actual ignition switch itself it's down near the bottom of the steering column. the spring inside is broken.
Ok I will give that a try but I just looked at a switch for a tilt column and there isn't a spring in that one just indent positioning. Didn't know if there was a spring in the column on the actuator rod itself and thanks for the reply. I appriciate that. John

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
t01blaze is right and there is no difference with a switch for a tilt column and a non-tilt, they all have a spring

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
consider replacing the 'neutral safety switch' while the steering wheel is off. It's only a few dollars but if it doesn't work the car won't start either.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

UBOWL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2014
consider replacing the 'neutral safety switch' while the steering wheel is off. It's only a few dollars but if it doesn't work the car won't start either.
Ok removed the switch and it seems like it's fine. I will replace it anyway however it seems like the actuator rod is binding what is needed to be done to free that up. Thanks John

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
With the ignition switch removed you can put a small flat blade screwdriver in to where the linkage hooks on and work it through the positions see if the ignition switch springs back from crank.

With the ignition switch removed you can cycle the ignition key and make sure that it key switch and the linkage moves smoothly.

UBOWL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2014
Key Ignition cylinder moves freely no problems there. I hold the rod and push it back and forth it moves but you can feel it like scraping inside somewhere.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
The rubbing might be ok, how does the ignition switch spring feel when working it by hand with a small screwdriver?
Maybe the rod got bent somehow? I have a spare ignition rod for a non tilt column if you want it.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, stick a small pocket screwdriver in the ignition switch like this, and move it towards you holding it as orientated in the picture. The last position should be spring loaded and moderately difficult to move into. ( the picture below shows the switch in the "off" position )

CAM00425_zpsdtrey5hq.jpg

Close up

CAM00426_zpsb5ixmw53.jpg

UBOWL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 19, 2014
The switch seems to have more than adaquite tension to spring the switch from start to run when doing as you pictured. The car sat for a number of years without any activity. Don't know if that would cause any of this. But when moving the rod like I stated to you it definetely feels like it's scraping or grinding for lack of a better description. Maybe the new rod would make a difference. Never know till you try I guess. Thanks again for taking the time for this issue. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor