Ignition problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
Hey guys, I have a 88 Monte LS, and I'm having problems with the ignition. It used to be that to start the car, you would have to turn the key all the way forward in the ignition like you would to normally start a car, but then you'd have to slowly inch it back a tiny bit to get the starter to engage. Now it won't engage at all. I ordered a new ignition barrel and hope that is the problem, but I want to get some more opinions on what the problem could be. Thanks a lot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it could be the ignition switch and if you have a tilt steering the rod going to the switch may be the problem

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The actual electric component of the ignition switch is on the top of the column under the dash. It mounts to the column with two screws. The mounting points on the switch are slots rather than holes so that the switch position on the column can be adjusted (sliding the switch up or down the axis of the column) so that the switch behaves correctly relative to the input from the lock cylinder. It is possible that the switch is loose and has moved on the column but it could also be that the switch is worn out. I'm posting a youtube video below. It isn't the greatest, but it gives you a look at the switch and how the rod from the lock cylinder actuates the switch. The video is for a square body GM truck (73-87) but the column is very similar to the ones in our cars. You have to drop the column down to access the switch. When you get your replacement switch it will likely have a little plastic doo-dad in it to hold it in a certain position. It will come with instructions and tell you to install the switch with the key in a certain position. Then, after the switch is installed, you remove the doo-dad. This automatically adjusts the position of the switch relative to the lock cylinder. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out and if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 users

ldr

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2016
Sarcoxie, MO
I would like some more info on switch adjustment. I just put a tilt in mine and it don't feel right from the start to run position.

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
Update: with the column dropped the car starts; you still have to edge the key back a little from full start, but I've been doing that for about a month anyways. But when you bolt the column back up and try to start it again it won't start just kinda makes a clicking noise up toward the firewall. Anybody know why this is happening?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sounds like switch adjustment to me. Did you see my post above?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would like some more info on switch adjustment. I just put a tilt in mine and it don't feel right from the start to run position.

Update: with the column dropped the car starts; you still have to edge the key back a little from full start, but I've been doing that for about a month anyways. But when you bolt the column back up and try to start it again it won't start just kinda makes a clicking noise up toward the firewall. Anybody know why this is happening?
Lots of good info here....
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2939662-ignition-switch-adjustment.html

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

Jared is right, it is because the switch hasn't been adjusted properly, my GP did the same thing after I changed the switch but there was no clicking noise.

Reactions: 1 user

slowestmonte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2017
I managed to get the car to start like it used to (don't really know how, think I bumped the switch just right), but I will be adjusting it correctly in the next day or so. When you say two screws do you mean the two mounting bolts on the left side? Because for me they are bolts, not Phillips heads.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this is the switch, you'll see the two elongated holes that allow the switch to be adjusted by loosening the two fasteners..

11_5_2011_12_11_27_am.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor