Ignition Switch Install - LOST MOUNTING BOLTS, NEED SIZE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
'84 Monte Carlo...

Okay moving on with this steering column rebuild..

I am rebuilding the steering column and in order for me to correctly install the actuator rack and rod I need to secure the ignition switch to the steering column so that it secures the rod so I can install the actuator rack and put everything else back together...

I lost these screws or bolts about a year ago and I don't remember what they look like, I don't even know if they are both or screws..

But I need the correct size so that I can buy replacements at a hardware store or I'm going to have to go to a salvage yard and drop a steering column and get the mounting screws or bolts from that vehicle..

Does anybody know if these are bolts or screws, and what size they are all around ?

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok there are two 8mm bolts and a screw that hold the ignition switch to the steering column. Is that screw 8 mm as well?
'84 Monte Carlo...

Okay moving on with this steering column rebuild..

I am rebuilding the steering column and in order for me to correctly install the actuator rack and rod I need to secure the ignition switch to the steering column so that it secures the rod so I can install the actuator rack and put everything else back together...

I lost these screws or bolts about a year ago and I don't remember what they look like, I don't even know if they are both or screws..

But I need the correct size so that I can buy replacements at a hardware store or I'm going to have to go to a salvage yard and drop a steering column and get the mounting screws or bolts from that vehicle..

Does anybody know if these are bolts or screws, and what size they are all around

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
See below, item # 62 is listed as part number 7806433 which is also machine thread 10-24

1661264457394.png

1661264507662.png

Reactions: 2 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Ok there are two 8mm bolts and a screw that hold the ignition switch to the steering column. Is that screw 8 mm as well?
Pulled some from an 88 Silverado and a 96 Bravada at the local salvage yard...these guys are itty bitty...8mm wrench got them off...
IMG_20220823_112248738.jpg

I also took pics of the headlight brights switch to hook that up correctly...been having to go under the hood to plug in my second set of headlights for brightness...

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Pulled some from an 88 Silverado and a 96 Bravada at the local salvage yard...these guys are itty bitty...8mm wrench got them off...
View attachment 205369

I also took pics of the headlight brights switch to hook that up correctly...been having to go under the hood to plug in my second set of headlights for brightness...
Long story short, I successfully tore down my steering column, fixed the issue, and now I'm able to start my engine with my key again.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Wow? how did this one go from fastener sizes to racism?

Just about everyone I talked with said,* when those screws go missing, just TIG the switch body to the column. Then if not wanting to weld just tighten down with a couple of worm clamps at each end of switch body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor