Ignition switch on column

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
We recently converted our Green Machine from auto to manual. It started multiple times after pulling the shifter handle pin but then quit.

Where can I find the ignition switch on the steering column? Does anyone have a pin-out?

When I turn the key I still have 12V+ to the HEI but the starter circuit is dead.

Any ideas?

thanks

ramey

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
what year is the "Green Machine"?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you tried turning the column by hand to the left and then try starting it. For the ignition box if you drop the steering column you will find it on the right side of the column. You won't miss it.

1979-1981_tilt_steering_column-manual_trans-b.jpg

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I just sent a couple of wiring diagrams to your umi email.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I think pontiacgp is onto your problem. The steering column "collar" below the portion of the column that houses the lock cylinder has likely rotated from it's "park" position and the neutral safety switch likely has you. You might consider immobilizing that portion of the column. I haven't looked into it on mine yet but this is what we did on my brother's 78 Z28. We simply fabbed up a little plate that bolts where the neutral safety switch would mount and the plate has a little "notch" that goes down into the slot in the column where the "input tab" from the neutral safety switch goes. Now the column stays in the "park" position all of the time. Unless I'm mistaken that collar will turn even on floor shift columns. That way, the gear indicator in the cluster will respond and the neutral safety and backup light switches are functional.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
have you tried turning the column by hand to the left and then try starting it. For the ignition box if you drop the steering column you will find it on the right side of the column. You won't miss it.

1979-1981_tilt_steering_column-manual_trans-b.jpg

Thanks GP. That's the pic I was looking for.

I have tried moving the collar back to P but will try again.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I can't find the post now, but I have an S-10 manual column and it's very close in dimensions to the Malibu column. The biggest difference was the plate for the firewall, which you can probably cut off and transfer from the Monte column. Ultimately, this may be a better solution for the manual conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor