Ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamscgmeatric

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2019
I have a 1981 Monte Carlo.. I’m having issues with it starting.. Car was fine when I drove it.. I stepped in the house and came back out to start it and it did nothing.. The radio and headlights work but car won’t crank.. I’ve changed the starter, starter wires, & ignition switch.. It still won’t turn over like if there’s no power.. I used a test light to test wires.. I’m gettn fire from everything but the starter ground wire..?!? Can someone help me out. ??
f5e07a664f37ba0f8b1160684efefce7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
clean the contact points for ground wire from the battery to the engine and make that wire is in good shape....

iamscgmeatric

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2019
clean the contact points for ground wire from the battery to the engine and make that wire is in good shape....

The wire that’s not getting ground is the small ground wire that connects to the starter and other end goes through the firewall, I think to the ignition switch..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like you are talking about the purple wire that goes to the S terminal on the solenoid. That is not a ground wire, when you have the key in start position that purple wire should be live

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You said you changed your starter wires? Did you change your fusible link? My final answer.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
You said you changed your starter wires? Did you change your fusible link? My final answer.

I'm with him..

Something Sudden like that instead of being a deteriorating/intermittent issue? I'm checking the fuseable link..

Put an Ohms meter on it and check for continuity.

Nice car, by the way...

-Gonz

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Any updates - O.P.?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I still haven’t found out the problem.. I bought me a push start button and hooked it up for now.. it works great

whatever you bypassed with the push button should be the problem

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor