BAGGAH2-(Harley-Davidson Project Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Not much to report in the way of modifications. My dad and I just got back from a little weekend trip, we logged around 605 miles in 2 days. We headed to Shadyside Dragway in Shelby, NC for the first "Hogs Gone Wild Bagger Bash." It was a decent event with a good turnout. Weather was nice, couldn't ask for much more! The bike did great, even in slight elevation changes in the foothills of North Carolina. I ended up getting 45 mpg at one point which really surprised me. On the way back I really tested my fuel range, I made it about 206 miles before the bike started to surge. It ended up taking 4.996 gallons! (5 Gallon tank). This was my first long ride with the new handlebars. I think I like them, my back was a little sore, but usually, after a stop for gas I was ready to ride again. I may end up rolling them back about a 1/2" to see how that feels. My friend also still has the matching leather tour pack, I need to go pick that up from him. I think I want to do the solo bracket so I can use it as a rider backrest on long trips. I would definitely do a longer ride again, and I know I have the itch to go drag racing now.

6BO1CI%aSY+eNzJFelN1ng.jpg
9af54s78RSOu6SF02RBWqw.jpg
liiYmXOmTHapyDq74A+fFw.jpg
IMG_1598.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
For those of you unfamiliar, my bike has Road King Custom saddlebags. The Road King Custom was only made from 2004-2007 and was essentially a stripped down version of a Road King standard. They came with these sleek leather saddlebags that are a lot smaller than traditional hard bags but also didn't come with all the studs and buckles that most leather saddlebags have.

The big downside with these is the fact that they are not lockable from the factory. However, I was able to track down a Harley Parts and Accessories lock set. This replaces the push button opening mechanism, with a push button lock. You do lose a tiny bit of saddlebag space because of the lock mechanism, but these bags are already pretty small, to begin with. I'm super happy with this and I think its the best solution to add locks to these factory saddlebags.

fullsizeoutput_12cf.jpeg

H6KPBEq9TLufRsHLj7xGzg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_12ce.jpeg

zw7OXYIkQqCoglWPeU5SZQ.jpg

6CtaqWrAS%6q4qIFIcjjGg.jpg

+Wc%rW6ORFqkS+zAPM9aCg.jpg

yDwEiyccQXmBVjjDnVdSYw.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I was all excited to try out my new Sena 20S on my ride to work. I made it within 10 minutes of work and on a 3-2 downshift I was rewarded with a broken drive belt. Luckily I was 1.5 miles from my girlfriends house, so i ended up pushing it there and took her car to work. Not sure if the belt is the original, but this bike is 17 years old with 85,000 miles. I need to do research on replacement belts and chain conversions.

94CCFF73-6122-48AA-84B5-F1E4666D84E8.jpeg
F160E652-E45B-4885-99FF-E0743B1BC10B.jpeg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It was probably due. Stuff like that is never convenient but at least you weren't an a 3000 mile trip.

• Agree

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Just put another belt on it.

Its an option. I’m not dead set on chain or belt. I just wanted to weigh my options. I haven’t pulled it apart yet to check the condition of the rear pulley.

It was probably due. Stuff like that is never convenient but at least you weren't an a 3000 mile trip.

It sucked pushing it 1.5 miles, but you’re right it couldn’t have happened at a better time.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I got the bike all buttoned up today. I decided to go with the belt. The rear sprocket was still in good shape, and I just couldn't justify a chain conversion right now. It wasn’t a diffuclt job, but lots of disassembly required. While it was apart I checked the primary tensioner (which had been replaced, the compensator, and swingarm bushings. Everything looked great, back to riding!

C63B36E2-5A0A-4214-B165-A8CE8263BE83.jpeg

56291DE7-EDD8-4908-9424-85F82DDEAD71.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor