BAGGAH2-(Harley-Davidson Project Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I had some kind of low flying pterodactyl bug hit my truck windshield the other day that made an 8” diameter splatter. First thing I thought of was that would have been fun back during my riding days.

The bugs have been....interesting so far. I got one right in the visor the other day, I got home and looked at the guys like "what the hell could have possibly looked like that?!"

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
years ago, I hit one of those huge mothra type moths in my dad's old box gmc pickup, doing about 65. sounded like a line drive baseball had hit the winshield... left a splatter bad enough, I had to pull over and clean most of the guts off, just so the wipers wouldn't smear away the vision... I remember thinking I was glad I wasn't on a bike when that happened....

cutty, that bike is looking beautiful! those newer harley's are nice, but to me, somethin about a classic look always brings me back!

The new Road King was niiice. I was thinking "I could get used to this." I would never get rid of mine though, way too much sentimental value there. The new bike just didn't feel like it had the character or quirkiness that mine has.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The bugs have been....interesting so far. I got one right in the visor the other day, I got home and looked at the guys like "what the hell could have possibly looked like that?!"
Reminds me of the old Lorena Bobbit joke with the the 2 stoners following her in the car..... :rofl:

Edit: I guess I should throw it out there......
<2 kids unknowingly following Lorena Bobbit while driving and passing a doob back and forth>
<something smacks the windshield>
Stoner 1: What the hell was that?!?!
Stoner 2: I don't know, but did you see the size of the d!ck on that bug?!?!
:banana:

Last edited:

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Made it home to get some riding in. I don't think I've washed it in over a month, so it was long overdue.
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Our local police department offers a FREE collision avoidance class taught by motorcycle police. Very humbling experience, and I learned a lot. I need to work on the ergonomics of my bike (the handlebars need to go). I'll look for a set after my daily driver project is done. Also not afraid to drop my bike at slow speeds, it happened a few times during the class. All the crash bars were wrapped with heater hose, so no damage thankfully. Believe it or not, these 800-1000 lb pigs are pretty easy to upright!

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Always a good class to take.

Depending on how tall/long armed you are, for me 14" apes were perfect for maneuverability, but I run 16's now. Even a 10" or 12" would be better than stock King bars though. Damn good looking bike though.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Hmmm, from the looks of what you have you can't even roll them back to gain some leverage can you? Those you listed would definitely help. I'm running Wild Ones 16" Chubby's but they are wide, luckily I'm long armed but I do have to work them in the turns. Then again I was told that people that ride behind me need a tetanus shot from all the metal I'm throwing.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I envy you guys that can ride with apes. I get a bad case of dead-arm if I have them up too long. So far I've found my 1850s farm implement bars to be the best fit for me. Took some getting used to though.

BAGGAH & BAGGAH2 look great. Glad you're putting down some miles.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
For a while I've been wanting a 2 into 1 exhaust for my bike. I prefer the single muffler look, and the performance is usually better. I'm not really a fan of the "true dual" exhaust setups. Going down the road you can sometimes hear each exhaust pulse unevenly in each ear. I've been keeping my eye on eBay for a few months for any suitable pipes. My Dad's 2010 Road Glide actually came factory with a 2-1 exhaust system, a one year only deal. He still had the stock head pipe laying around, as well as a Screamin' Eagle SuperTrapp style slip on muffler for it. Much like the seat I retrofitted, Harley Touring exhausts are normally 97-08 fitment, and then 2009+ fitment. But...these year of bikes still use the same engine, the exhaust ports are the same, so it must just be a matter of different bracketry, and that's why they don't interchange. Well, I decided I'd find that out for myself.

Here is just a reminder of what I was working with here. Vance and Hines "big shot" duals. Actually a nice quality exhaust when new, but this one had broken heat shields and brackets. Scratches, dents, etc. Really the only thing supporting it on each side was the muffler hanger and head pipe flange. No good.

08FXOWMwRYW7B32mWDgNUQ.jpg

First rough test fit, looking good so far!

jD2VCxTyQ06qo7Q3ddxH4w.jpg

This is the factory bracket from my dads bike, it uses 2 lower bolts from the transmission to support the exhaust. We'd model this later.

56754560372__79F48DF9-AFB8-4241-9824-2A5B41A9D800.JPG

56754610808__30EADFC0-9F1E-443F-BA55-9985B34A2EE6.JPG

Another rough test fit, at this point I realized this was not as big of a deal as people made it seem. Most everything I read online said that because the frames were so much different between Pre 09 and later, the exhausts wouldn't even be close.

56754633828__84DC2311-7CB4-4E29-932D-6954C4AD4D20.JPG

Because this exhaust was originally off a fuel injected bike, I needed to take care of O2 sensor bung plugs, and catalytic converter. No big deal. The cat was punched out, and I found some stainless bolts and brass washers to plug the bungs.

MiW%Fi%uSiWnLhO2zTgkfA.jpg

We cut up an extra bracket from my dad's Vance and Hines Pro Pipe, basically following the template from the original, just a little bit longer and lower.

Uc7xf0pkQ2epfAMJPi1e4g.jpg

Gridning some clearance in the pipe here.

bFp6LmkdQFmQTyGrnsQYpA.jpg

pSPXzwAURwa4aNBFfg4M8w.jpg

And success!

UTTSm5ZwSVisw1PSB09X8w.jpg

KYba3dRwTaaeE9O2QgTYRg.jpg

VQ7jZPBySjeRa5AsAo7oqw.jpg

gs7JKvC6TyG1DNCMlQ1VsA.jpg

It really wasn't as bad as the internet made it seem, as usual lol. Other miscellaneous things that needed to be changed/modified were adding a spacer to the floorboard so it wouldn't touch the exhaust pipe, and changing the orientation of the heat shield clamps. No big deal at all. It sounds great so far. Fairly quiet putting around town, but very loud and throaty when you want it to be. I am starting off with 8 discs and the open end cap. I'll add more discs after a few rides, assuming there is no discoloration of the pipe or lean spots. I'm very happy with it. You would never be able to tell that this is a 2009+ exhaust on a 2002 motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor