Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2017
Michigan
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have 1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 90th anniversary that I want to LS swap but I have no idea what to do or where to start. My goal is to have between 400-430 hp if possible. Please give me your input and it would greatly be appreciated

Reactions: 5 users

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Beautiful car and welcome to the site! I believe there are quite a few threads on the site regarding LS swaps although you'll find probably the best advice on the LS1tech website.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hi I'm new to the forum and I have 1987 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 90th anniversary that I want to LS swap but I have no idea what to do or where to start. My goal is to have between 400-430 hp if possible. Please give me your input and it would greatly be appreciated

Welcome from GR Raymond. You have a beautiful unmolested 87'. Those brougham emblems on the doors are sweet!

There are many options out there but If I were you with a goal of 430 HP I would look for a complete LY6 pull out and 4L80e from an Express Van. A nice VVT cam, headers and tune will exceed those targets and you could have a smooth idle and relatively quiet ride.

With those 14" rims and tires you will not hook up. If you do hook up with bigger tires you will need to upgrade your 7.5" rear end.

Raymond Griffin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2017
Michigan
Welcome from GR Raymond. You have a beautiful unmolested 87'. Those brougham emblems on the doors are sweet!

There are many options out there but If I were you with a goal of 430 HP I would look for a complete LY6 pull out and 4L80e from an Express Van. A nice VVT cam, headers and tune will exceed those targets and you could have a smooth idle and relatively quiet ride.

With those 14" rims and tires you will not hook up. If you do hook up with bigger tires you will need to upgrade your 7.5" rear end.

Thank you for your input. Everybody that has seen it suggests I should keep it original but I want to burn some rubber.

Timothy Kennedy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2017
Great looking ride. LS swaps are nice. The horsepower is pretty easy to make yet the swap and build can be costly. I contemplating doing the same. By the time you do the harness and tuning and rebuild the motor you could have bought a nice factory build LSX376 and add throttle bodie injection setup like a MSD of Fitech and manifold. The systems are self learning so you avoid paying a tuner. You can Bolt it to your trans and roll. The new transmissions are nice but I'm sure you have a 200-4 or 700-R4. No need to change driveshafts or cross members. Just get a nice ignition and pulley set up and you'll be rolling and have a solid motor with a good warranty that you can spray or boost later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Griffin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2017
Michigan
Great looking ride. LS swaps are nice. The horsepower is pretty easy to make yet the swap and build can be costly. I contemplating doing the same. By the time you do the harness and tuning and rebuild the motor you could have bought a nice factory build LSX376 and add throttle bodie injection setup like a MSD of Fitech and manifold. The systems are self learning so you avoid paying a tuner. You can Bolt it to your trans and roll. The new transmissions are nice but I'm sure you have a 200-4 or 700-R4. No need to change driveshafts or cross members. Just get a nice ignition and pulley set up and you'll be rolling and have a solid motor with a good warranty that you can spray or boost later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I was just reading up on the swap and it seems easier to have a carb setup to avoid the computer and wire harnesses.

Jimmy bigg time

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 13, 2017
Midwest
My buddy had a car that looked just like that same year & all. By chance did u buy the car in central Indiana by chance. Around say Lafayette ?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. That's a pretty Cutlass. Check out some threads in this section. This is a good place to start looking for ideas...

https://gbodyforum.com/forums/g-body-lsx-swap/

It all comes down to budget and what you want. We know that you want 400-430 hp. We know that you want to do an LS swap. We need some more information to help you hone in on a path forward...

1. budget?
2. carb or fuel injection?
3. what transmission?
4. how will you use the car?

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor