In a Mad Max World, What Car Would Survive Longest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Ever wonder what kind of car would still be going after the collapse of civilization? What would you choose to drive for survival in a post-apocalyptic reality where you fight for survival-and fuel? More importantly, what will run the longest on the least amount of maintenance? I present to you my list of nominees for robustness in the face of anarchy:

Mercedes Benz W123 Diesel cars. Made from 1976-1985, these have the distinction of being the most likely to hit one million miles. Even 24 years after they were last built, they are still plentiful.

Toyota Hi-Lux Pickup. Beloved of warlords and revolutionaries everywhere for their simplicity and robustness. Even dropping one with an imploding building or drowning it in salt water for 6 hours won't kill it, as Top Gear proved. Extra points for a diesel.

Nissan Pickups. If they can survive pizza delivery for hundreds of thousands of miles, they can survive anything!

Anything with a slant six.

I know my list is lacking, so please. Add to it!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Chances are the only things left rolling will be old cars from the '50s thru the '70s that still have points ignition. The electronics in newer cars will more than likely be fried by the electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear blast.

I've been meaning to snag an old points distributor for my sbc in my cutlass wagon just in case. I also need to get one of those hand crank pumps to pump gas out of fuel tanks. We had a nice one on wheels out at school for pumping the fuel out of the donated vehicles. It would fit perfectly in the back of the wagon.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
But in the Rock, Paper, Scissors contest of EMP survival, old mechanical injection diesels trump spark ignition engines. No electronics needed, it's all mechanical with ignition provided by cylinder pressure.

I do agree about getting a points distributor though, I just keep forgetting to grab one when I go out to the junkyard. I do predict that we will need the old technology sooner than we realize as the world is becoming a much more dangerous place due to the proliferation of nuclear technology among unstable nations.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
But in the Rock, Paper, Scissors contest of EMP survival, old mechanical injection diesels trump spark ignition engines. No electronics needed, it's all mechanical with ignition provided by cylinder pressure.

You are absolutely correct. My first reaction was also the indestructible Slant Six, but when I think about the simplicity of my JD tractor, old school diesel wins hands down. Not to mention that it will run on anything.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
A ragged, black , supercharged version of an Australian Torino, of course! 8) :lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
jrm81bu said:
A ragged, black , supercharged version of an Australian Torino, of course! 8) :lol:

The XB Falcon coupe?

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
YUGO!!!
or an old school VW. they seem to last in mexico, and that's about as post-apocalyptic as i ever hope to see!

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
there was an episode of futurama that they used an old VW van in like the year 3000 or whenever it takes place ha they ran it on whale oil funny stuff

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
jrm81bu said:

The XB Falcon coupe?

That sounds about right. That's what was in the movie correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor