MONTE CARLO in search of 78 Monte Carlo unicorn parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020
currently looking for the front and rear bumper chrome trim. also looking for the quarter window trim with rubber. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean80monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2015
Massachusetts
Try ebay, found some front and rear aftermarket moldings they are selling together. Not sure about fitment. Good luck with your search

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My best advice is to get a hold of a GM parts book and get the correct part numbers for them. Then go on Ebay (or online) and look for those numbers. I have had very good luck looking for items for my 78 Malibu that way.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome! I might have a line on some quarter window trims...

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Front and rear factory bumper trim is like finding hens teeth. The lowers I have seen on E-Bay for around $190.00 EACH. I managed to find a set of lowers for my 79 about 10 years ago from a Chevrolet dealership that went out of business and located a upper front but it is not a perfect part.
I understand some members have used stick on side molding from Auto Zone that looks good. Maybe one of them will comment on sizes.
Good Luck!
FYI....a proper introduction with some pictures wouldn't hurt.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So this is the "U" shaped molding that fits into the slots and recesses on the front and back rubber bumper covers we are talking about here? How pristine or un-molested do you need them to be? Reason I ask is that I dismantled and trashed my old 78 over a decade ago but kept a lot of the covers and chrome trim and plastic insert pieces. Only thing I recall is that those inserts were so warped from the sun and life that I had to mechanically anchor using self drilling screws; the other was that the clear plastic surface material had gotten pretty scuffed and nicked as well. May have others that did not get subjected to that indignity but would have to look. Other problem is that all of that stuff is presently located in a garage in Canada. Getting it down to you could be an issue. Tried Original Parts Group yet?

Nick

Bullett801

Apprentice
Sep 2, 2019
The moldings for the bumpers you can find on ebay, and they look and fit nicely. I recommend applying extra adhesive or have a body professional install them to get the fitment correct and tight. As for the window trim moldings... if you want the weatherstripping to be in good shape.... Good luck. i have been looking for 2 years and found nothing with good weatherstripping attached. The only alternative i have found and read about is if you find the chrome, some guys are replacing the worn and cracked weatherstripping with a different type they are getting from glass companies. I think this is the route I am going to go as well. Good Luck!!

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I could not find the factory style bumper chrome molding. I went with the aftermarket stuff from Gbody parts. I don't really like it, but it was the best thing I found.
2019-05-22 21.25.17.jpg
I had to paint the reeses in the bumper. The aftermarket trim sits on the outside and is not u-shaped. There are two different styles of lower quarter window trim. A flat wide one and a skinny beid style. I have a few peices laying around if you can tell us what you need? I have a nice set of 78 tail lights, if you are interested? If you find the factory bumper trim, I would like to have some too.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor