In Tank Fuel Pump Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I would like to get away from the on engine mechanical fuel pump some time next year, run a return line back to the tank along with a return style fuel pressure regulator and set it up for 6psi max.

Tired of this 93/E10 mix perculation when hot nonsense when it comes to my ZZ4, i didnt go through any of this back in the mid 90s with my street/strip setup('75 chevelle), i know, much better gas back then, so this upgrade has to happen.

I had a lQQk around, and Rock Auto showed me a year specific unit for my malibu(1979), 17gal, with filler neck attached, in tank fuel pump, supply/return/vent tubes, its all i need to keep things simple, im already familar with the electricals, use heavy guage wiring, a heavy duty relay w/flyback diode, soldering connections, oil pressure switch, etc.

Spectra Premium GM306CFI - https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/en/parts/GM306CFI

Would this do me justice for my needs, or is there something better, this will be my first time upgrading any fuel system, ever.

Thanks

Attachments

• GM306CFI.jpg
    GM306CFI.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
To save your pump, a baffled tank is best. RockAuto offers a Regal tank, 307C (does not call it a Grand National). $147. Monte SS tank, 306C, is $182 and has a slightly longer filler neck. Picture looks the same...
1671939070276.png
1671939342604.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can spend as much as you want with on a new tank, lines, regulator, etc. If that's what you want to do then OK.

But I'm cheap. An option for any carbureted setup that is not going to the track to see 10+ seconds at WOT is a Vega pump or a late 80's S10 pump. No regulator needed and no EFI tank upgrade needed. These pumps are dirt cheap and easily wired with a single relay and a GM 3 wire oil pressure switch.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
What is this Vega and late 80s S10 pumps you are refering to?

Figured in tank electric pumps are much quieter, runs cooler and last longer than external pumps that are somewhat loud against the frame and doesnt last as long due less cooling from normal use, since you have to insulate it from the noise it produces, so theres no real time heatsinking.

I guess the spectra tank i posted is just a stock tank, but with a in tank electric pump attachment but with no internal baffleing, no relateable info on the tank it seems. That MC gas tank lQQks more ideal, i'll just have to modify the filler tube length if indeed it is slightly longer and i'll also need the factory pump and lines assembly with electrical connections.

Thanks

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Thanks for the link.

Another option, but cheaper.... i could go with a sending unit with three lines(supply/vent/return), use a mechanical fuel pump that has a third line(return), plump that line back to the return tube and use a dead head fuel pressure regulator to get my 6psi max, i just want to nip this percolation/vaporlock thing in the bud.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Chevrolet Vega , Chevrolet S10.

Hop on rockato.com and search for them. Both are in tank and returnless. I ran a Vega pump on a 300+hp 327 in a Pontiac Astre without issue.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What carb, intake, and etc combo?

Are you running a carb heat insulator?

Do you have the exhaust crossover blocked or restricted?

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
ZZ4 crate engine.... GM dual plane, similar to edelbrock performer, holley SA770 carburetor, no carburetor heat insulator/shield, the L98 heads(113) dont have heat/exhaust crossovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor