Increased G body value when turning antique????

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey friends, My Monte Carlo turns 30 next year. A guy at work today asked me "will it be worth more when it is an antique" I told him I think so. but i'm not sure.

I know the old saying "A car is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it "

But does a Gbody's value increase when it becomes an antique status ? To me it does....

How do you guys feel about this topic....

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
A factory original non modified one yes I find the older they get the more they will cost but you do have to remember rare models like the ss 442 ect ect will be the ones people want not the old brown one with green seats and weird options. Those will go down in history like the straight six Camaro the hopeful uncles as I call them

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Well, I have to respectfully disagree, Many of the SS montes have been hacked into race cars and versions that are
fully stock are harder to find now. Parts are getting rare for many versions. LS versions like mine were crushed and sent to China
To make other metal items for us in the USA for years. And the LS versions are not as highly sought after as the SS versions are.
I think if the car has the right upgrades even though not stock can still bring a good bit of coin.
I have seen bone stock examples of my LS, same year with similar mileage for $2500.
Also I have seen modified versions for sale for well over $6000. And mine is every bit as good as those.

So I feel that my car could easily bring $5500 to the right buyer If I were selling.
Some people just do not want a stock car. The ones that do might better think twice about purchasing a
G body as an investment.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think for the most part stock clean looking low mileage Gbodies especially the higher end models will continue to increase in value over time not necessarily when they turn 30.
The problem is once you modify your car to your own personal preference of what you want your car be this can go either way on the value and you can possibly decrease the value of the car and also make for a limited buyer interest.
My Monte for instance it would be limited to someone that does not mind driving a brutally fast street car that is loud, has no AC and gets crappy gas mileage.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice clean examples are still getting good money. Someone I know bought a beautiful '86 (?) Buick Regal from a woman whose husband had passed on. It only had around 15,000 miles and was always garaged. He was more than happy to pay $8500.00 for it and he put it right in his garage. When you open the garage door you still smell "new car smell"!

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
It also depends on where you are from too for instance a clean rust free monte will cost me my arm plus my left nut here and up on per say Florida your just donating your arm. I do feel like they are gaining value but at very low rate. The way I see it they won't rise till foxbody or Camaros of that era rise

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
G bodies (less the GNX) are not even a blip on the radar to serious collectors.

Clean, low mile unmolested examples will always bring better money than average ones. The ultra-rare cars like mentioned above (super low miles) are sought after as clean slates to build upon, and the premium models (SS 442, GN, Hurst) will bring good money by virtue of their performance image.
<~~~~~~
That car over there is a decent clean example, but I have no illusions that it is worth large coin just because it is 35 years old. But it is a nice unbutchered platform to build on. I would have paid several times it's advertised price just because of condition, but the other 6 callers (in the first 3 hours)all tried lowballing him on the phone

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Mine could still be returned to stock condition if someone would want to do so.
I made sure that anything I did or added was not a form of butcher to the original
platform.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
I think all these cars are great and anyone who has one does too. The value depends on who wants one and how many people want one. I watch these cars everyday on CL, Ebay, etc. The prices have all went up some and all the factors you guys have mentioned depends on the price too. There are purists out there, there are the guys who make them the way they want them, there are the guys who just butcher them, and there are the people who think they need to get antique corvette money out of a car that is nothing special but rust free. The problem is with these cars is hardly anybody took care of them earlier in life and now there aren't alot of untouched, rust free examples. And the ones that are in good shape have a 6 cylinder in them or they are grandma like. They didn't have the options the 60's and early 70's muscle cars had. People want a badass car. Not a 6 cylinder, wire wheel covered, bench seat, 2.42 geared grandma car. The value is determined by all of these. Just because something is an antique doesn't make it worth more. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
G bodies (less the GNX) are not even a blip on the radar to serious collectors.

Clean, low mile unmolested examples will always bring better money than average ones. The ultra-rare cars like mentioned above (super low miles) are sought after as clean slates to build upon, and the premium models (SS 442, GN, Hurst) will bring good money by virtue of their performance image.
<~~~~~~
That car over there is a decent clean example, but I have no illusions that it is worth large coin just because it is 35 years old. But it is a nice unbutchered platform to build on. I would have paid several times it's advertised price just because of condition, but the other 6 callers (in the first 3 hours)all tried lowballing him on the phone

Ribbedroof said it all. Below is a couple of extremely nice g-bodys (21,000 mi regal & 52,000 LJ) that wouldn't pull any money. Did get $3500 for the regal. But in 2005 I got well north of $20,000 for my GS
1981.jpg

IMG_4949.JPG

70gs 047.jpg

Attachments

• 81a.jpg
    81a.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4949.JPG
    IMG_4949.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 281
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor