Info needed for engine swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Do any of you guys have a copy of the GM parts book illustration page showing the fuel/evap system for a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix? It would probably show the frame, the gas tank and all the lines connecting from the tank to the front of the car. I'm swapping the 231 six-banger out from it and replacing it with my 1984 Grand Prix's Chevy 305. Reason I'm asking is because the 231's fuel pump is on the drivers side and the 305's fuel pump is on the passenger side and so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to redo lines to make this work. Thanks.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Should just have to run a new hard line (for safety reasons) along the passenger side frame rail, you can keep the evap line on the drivers side. It'll be the same as all SBC powered cars. If you would need a return line for the pump (only if the tank has three lines on the sender) it'll need to be ran along with the supply line.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
You don't have to reroute them, but you will probably want to bend up a hardline to route across the crossmember to the fuel pump inlet.

Use a loop of regular fuel line from the hardline to the fitting on the fuel pump as a vibration relief.

If you do away with the mechanical pump, and use an electric inline pump on the frame, you can route it up directly from the driver's side hoses to the carb (also using hardline).

The advantage to leaving those lines where they are is that they already have a fuel return line plumbed if you want to upgrade to fuel injection later.

justacruzr2

Greasemonkey
Jun 16, 2017
Midlothian, Illinois
Thanks for the replies. It also occurred to me to look up front behind the engine crossmember. They may have ran the line down the passenger side like my 84 with the 305 and then just took a turn along the crossmember to get to the drivers side. If that's the case, that would be much easier since I can reuse most of the existing line. I just finished sandblasting the entire underside of the car and the lines cleaned up beautifully so I'm not going to replace them unless necessary. I already primed it too and hopefully this weekend I'll paint the underside too. The ramps I made worked great and made it very easy to sandblast. The fuel sender on both cars is the same with 3 lines coming from it. One difference is that the 231 fuel pump has 3 inlets/outlets whereas the SBC fuel pump only has 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor